• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

50 horse Yamaha tiller problems

hawgeye

Having problems with my yamaha finding neutral. I will shift it into neutral, motor will be in neutral, but the motor will not start. turn the key and nothing. shift the shifter back and forth while turning the key and she turns right over. any ideas on what might be causing this? anyone have similiar problems? thanks for any insight, almost got stuck on the lake the other day

dave

Open the hood, and look on the left or right hand side (think it's right) and look near the pan of the motor - you'll see two throttle cables with rod eyes on them... you're after the one that is NOT connected to the Carb... I believe the rod eye is oriented horizontal.

Look around that connection... there should be a neutral switch. You may need to adjust the position of that neutral switch so that when the gearcase is in neutral the neutral switch is working as intended.

marine_man

I recently had the same problem with my 2003 F75. Eventually, shifting back and forth didn't work and I had to use the trolling motor to get home. It was the neutral safety switch that went bad. I don't know which model you have, but I had difficulty reaching the switch (buying a service manual this winter)and brought it to a marina. The labor was around $150. The part is $30.

Thanks for the help guys. It must be the neutral switch, I tried manually pushing it in (I heard wrapping the bar with aluminum helps depress the button) but that didn't work either. It looks like an easy fix, but my fat fingers can't get in there

Dave