• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new gun question

I agree with guide, the most important thing you want him to do is get used to shooting the gun so he his comfortable with that and has confidence in the gun and most of all understands the safety of the gun, loading, ejecting bullets etc.. Of course if there is a scope you want to site that in.

I have never heard of actually "breaking in a gun"? Maybe someone else knows more about this?

i got him a savage model 111 in 30-06, it came with a 3-9 scope, he'll be shooting the new managed recoil bullets for a couple years,

as far as what i remember about break-in, something about running a patch through the barrel after every shot for the first several rounds ,does that make sense?

The only thing I remember is when you shoot it for the first time or any time at the range with multiple rounds, let the barrel cool before ripping off a couple more. If you get the barrel too hot and shoot through it the bullet can actually warp the rifling and the barrel. That is what I heard and don't know from experience.

i just got my son a new rifle and was wondering about

"breaking in" a new gun, i remember reading something about it on here but couldnt remember the details,

anyone have any advice on this?

thanks in advance,

mike

I have never had a problem "breaking in a gun". In fact if you need, I will break in your new one for ya winkgrinwink.

Honestly though, ne closest thing I ever came to needing to break one in was not shooting Hot unter 125 grain bullets in my .357. The first day I had my glock I shot over 1000 rounds.

Just shoot it, be smart, don't hot gun it, and you will be fine. Enjoy.

rem,

I just got a new Savage Weather Warrior .270 (see the thread below yours). I did break in the new barrel. Gander mountain had a sheet on how to do it. Twenty shots total.

One shot - clean the gun

Repeat for four more shots

Three shots - clean the gun.

Repeat that four more times.

The idea is to clean out the brass, and 'set' the rifling in the barrel. I don't know if it was totally necessary, but I had the luxury of shooting at my brother's (not at a range) so we could take our time and do the break in.

My thought was that a box of shells is cheap compared to a new barrel. Treat the gun right.

It's an investment that you don't want to mess up.

Have fun - good luck. Bring an extra heavy sweatshirt to drape over your shoulder for padding. You will feel twenty shots the next day.

Oh and that's just break-in. You will need to shoot some to sight in the scope.

well we got my sons rifle sighted in, follwing the cleaning steps you provided.(thanks again).

on a side note, the guy at Dick's did a great job bore sighting, it only took a couple of minor adjustments and we were dialed in,and a littleplug for the managed recoil rounds by remington, my son shot the whole box and was hitting as well on the last shot as he was on the first few, then i had him fire one last shot with one of my bullets, he goes WOW, big difference in recoil, but the bullet hit right were the lower recoil bullets hit. NICE.