• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Veni Chili - Need some help

Last year I did a contest at work and got a recipe an FMer emailed from here. It whas really meaty and had adobo sauce mixed in. I've made it a few times and now can't find the recipe. Do you remember who you were? Can ya send it to me again at s_e_hendricks at comcast dot net?

I had most of it. Got home tonight and found it in the drawer with the recipe book. Thank God, best chili I've ever had and making it for my kids birthday party tomorrow. Got the veni cubed up and all the other meat and everything else that goes in.

Well... since I use the base recipe in contests I dont thing I will be sharing all the details...so...it is basically a combo of 2-3 kinds of meat...(Veni cubes, smoked sausage, ground pork, or ground beef)...tomato sauce, stewed tomatos, 1-2 cans of chipotle in adobo...green chilis...chili mix packet or two...couple cans of beans...garlic and onion (browned with your pork or beef)...hot sauce...brown sugar...bbq sauce...seasoning to taste. I will be making it with venison, smoked sausage, and ground pork on thursday night smile...

jbDragon - I make mine real similar - venison cubes, venison link sausage cooked and cut up, and ground venison mixed with pork.

Same basic as yours but I go heavy with the saute'd diced peppers and onions. And beans. We like the beans so I usually use 5-6 diff kinds. dark and light kidney, garbonzo, black beans, cant think of the name but the kind baked beans are made of, and lima beans...

Two packets of McCormick chili seasoning - one hot and one regular, garlic, cans of stewed, crushed and dices tomatos. Salt, pepper, and spices. Hot sauce and crushed red till the heat is right. (note, you can always add more but you cant take heat out) grin

I make big batches as it freezes well...

Last year I did a contest at work and got a recipe an FMer emailed from here. It whas really meaty and had adobo sauce mixed in. I've made it a few times and now can't find the recipe. Do you remember who you were? Can ya send it to me again at s_e_hendricks at comcast dot net?

I got two first place awards in my cube from a work contest last year using the same FMer receipe. I was sworn to secrecy though. cool

Chili

1lb ground pork

1lb ground beef

1lb cooked, cooled and shredded steak (beef, vension, elk, etc.)

1T Lawry's Seasoned Salt

1t garlic powder (divided)

1 med white onion, diced

1 can (12oz) diced tomatoes

1 can (6oz) tomato sauce

1 can (6oz) tomato paste

1 can (16oz) black beans

1 can (16oz) kidney beans

1 can (4oz) green chilis

1t cayenne pepper

2T chili powder

1/2t cumin

1t tabasco or franks

1t salt

1t black pepper

1 can (16oz) pinto beans

2 bottles Sam Adams Octoberfest (or regular) Beer

2T cornstarch

Directions:

Brown ground beef and pork with Lawrys Salt, 1/2t garlic powder and onion. Drain fat. Add browned meat to crockpot along with remaining items except: PINTO BEANS, BEER, and CORNSTARCH.

Simmer pinto beans and 1 beer and reduce, add 2nd beer and reduce, starting to break up or lightly mash the beans. Lastly, prepare the cornstarch by mixing with small amount of water and then adding to the bean/beer mixture. Cook for 5-10 more minutes and add mixture to crockpot.

Heat for at least 2 hours before serving. It is best made the night ahead and kept in the fridge so flavors can meld overnight.

Of course offer shredded cheese and sour cream for serving.

Big Dave... try this one... less traditional but oh sooo good!

Quote:
I've been using Emeril's chili recipie. It is a beef stock based recipe as opposed to tomato based. It a lot less acidic, but still has nice 'heat' to it. I use lean venison when I make it... it adds more flavor. Everyone I've served it to loves it. Most people are used to a tomato 'heavy' chili. This is the exact opposite, so it should really stand out.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 cups chopped onions

Salt

Cayenne

2 pounds stew meat, cut into cubes

1 tablespoon chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

Crushed red pepper

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 tablespoons chopped garlic

3 cups crushed tomatoes

1/4 cup tomato paste

8 cups beef stock (I use Emeril's, it comes in a box, found in the soup section at the store)

2 tablespoons masa flour

4 tablespoons water

1 cup canned dark red kidney beans

1 bag tortilla chips

1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese

6 tablespoons sour cream

1 small jar jalapenos

In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season with salt and cayenne. Stir in the stew meat, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano. Brown the meat for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, and beef stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the liquid, partially covered for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is tender. Skim off the fat occasionally.

Mix the masa and water together. Slowly stir in the masa slurry, add the beans, and continue to cook for 30 minutes. Reseason with salt and cayenne. Place a handful of the chips in each shallow bowl. Spoon the chili over the chips. Garnish with the grated cheese, sour cream and jalapenos.

Good Luck!

Ken