Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BradT

Muzzleloader Trajectory

6 posts in this topic

So I bought a .50 cal CVA Buckhorn and I want to go sight it in tonight. My question is how high at 50yards to be close at 100yards? I'm going to be shooting 100 grains of 777 pellets and 240 grain TC sabot hollow points. I've heard between 2 and 4 inches, does that sound right? Thanks for all the help.

I set mine 2 inches at 50 yards and then usually it drops right in at 100. With open sites thats about as far as i'm going to shoot mine.

im the same way. 100 years is not really a hard shot with a muzzy, but if you have it dead nutz on 50, it will kill at 100.

I also went and shot my Muzzy today. I played around with the different powder loads(100&150 grain loads) and also different bullets(250&295 Grain) . What I found was that at 100 yards it made no difference on the amount of powder or what bullet I was shooting. I fired 24 shots and I was on the paper within 7 inches of the center on all of the shots. The only difference was that the 100 graing powder loads were slower, Icould hear they hit the target.

At 50 yards I am 2-3 inches high.

2 inches high at 50 is about perfect. After 100 yards with 100 grains you will get significantly more drop. I shot one at 150 and I held on about on his spine and it dropped right into the boiler room. It dropped at least 7 inches at 150. I also shoot a .45cal so that may have made a difference as well.

i was out today making sure that ll my sights are ready to go. I was high at 50 years, and cant miss the mark at 100. I must have shot it 15 times at 100 yards, and was inside the black everytime.

Im getting pretty excited

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Well this warm winter should help out this coming year pretty well.
    • Well, today was both awesome and extremely disappointing. We hadn't been hunting my pintail, wigeon and mottled duck spot because I had heard it got beat up pretty bad over the weekend and I wanted to let it rest for a few days & build some birds back up. Got all set up & had enough pintails work to make it interesting, but the wigeon were pretty much a no-show. The majority of the pins (a couple thousand!) landed to the west about 1/2 mile away in an area I've never seen birds work. Buddy shot one, and we had a flock of 8 buzz us while we were picking dekes (as they always do). On the plus side, we were only 1 bird short of our pintail limit (2 hens didn't make the pic) and 2 of them shot their first pintail. One guy that has been hunting for 25 years shot 2 gorgeous pins that are wall bound, the other guy that shot his firsts got a drake and a hen. All had sprigs but some were pulled before the pic to save for mounting as we didn't want them to get broken during transport. Also not pictured are 2 drake shovelers and a drake and hen red. All in all a slow day but my buds were ecstatic. Tomorrow, we head to a lake that I've never hunted but has had a lot of cinnamon teal (as well as bwt, gwt, wigeon, gads, fulvous and whistling ducks, pins and mallards) shot out of it this year. Wish us luck!!  
    • Well they build a few bikes but not really the shows shtick!
    • The state’s deer herd is growing, the 2016 harvest suggests. http://www.startribune.com/based-on-2016-harvest-state-s-deer-herd-appears-to-be-growing/410595495/  
    • A site I came across that is a pretty good database for what is going on nationally   http://www.deerfriendly.com
    • I don't identify as Republican.   You identify as Libertarian, right?
    • When we fish portables we all have our own  
    • Special SE Minnesota deer hunt to expand after sixth CWD discovery   http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/local/special-se-minnesota-deer-hunt-to-expand-after-sixth-cwd/article_a99fda2a-244d-5def-b71a-0b7d0dffad05.html     https://sportingjournalradio.com/2017/01/17/cwd-in-mn-what-does-the-latest-positive-chronic-wasting-disease-test-results-mean/   Audio interview with Cornicelli
  • Our Sponsors