• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Augers in House

Ears

Anyone use the electric augers in the drop shacks? Looking for something to eliminate the auger fumes, but yet re-drill a partially frozen hole, or open one up that is frozen solid. What brand, jiffy or strikemaster?? I used to used a gas strikemaster with the laser blade, but it was a huge fight to re-open the holes. Since I switched to a chipper blade, it works great, but hate the gas fumes. Looking for ideas

I have the 8" Electric Lazer from Strike Master. It works good to drill between about 6 and 8 holes thru ice that is 18" or more before needing to recharge. It definetly is not as fast and convienient as a gas auger.

Swiitching to a chipper blade might help as I do have some troubles reopening holes with the chipper blade but I rarely leave my house on the lake when I leave so that hasn't been a major problem. I would like to pick up a 10" chipper blade, I know it will reduce the wholes I can cut but would prefer a 10" hole in the big house.

Electric definetly is not the fastest but it is better than a hand auger or 2 stroke exhaust inside your shack. If your ever in the arfea once we have some ice I would be more than happy to meet you on the lake and let you pull the trigger to find out if you'd like it.

There has been a lot of ideas as how to get rid of the "gas fumes" in the fish house. If you still have the gas auger you should try a tank of AMSOIL (SABER PROFESSIONAL). Mix it 80:1. This is good for the motor and NO FUMES to chase you out of the house... Good luck ><(((*>

I have the strikemaster chipper blade now, and that opens old holes, but the gas fumes are not good, and I even use the Amsoil oil. There are times when on Red or Lake of the Woods that I need to re bore the holes, and I hate having to open the windows etc. It looks like that Ice Gator may be the trick, just use my 8" chipper with the electric power head.

I also use an 8" electric strikemaster in the hard house. I extended my cord to run off the truck while it is running to really juice it up. I just wasn't getting enough draw off of the battery in the house. I have no problem redrilling old holes and it may not be as fast as a gas, but it sure beats the house reaking from 2 stroke and after getting very sick from fumes on my maiden wheel house weekend last year, I can't stomach the 2 stroke fumes like I used to. Those emissions aren't anything to mess with.

I had a laser blade before with a gas head, and it was nothing but a wrestling match to re open the holes or bore them out. Looks like the gator might be the key, use my chipper bit, electric head. I'm also sick of trying to air out the house.