• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting Lease

I see alot of talk on here of hunting leases. What type of leases are there in MN? I would love to get in on one of these or even get my own. Is there public land that can be leased, or is it a matter of talking to land owners and working something out?

What they're mainly talking about is leases on private land. Potlach use to run leases, but I don't think they do that anymore. They seem to be selling off their old leased property. You can sometimes find adds for leaseable land in magazines, outdoor news, and web listings, sometimes you see them here in MN fishing(I think). good luck

I have a county lease through St. Louis County for just a hunting shack. We pay the taxes on the piece of property 80 acres. But only have rights to right where our shack is. It is on a year to year basis.

Potlatch is very much still in the land lease business. The property that they sell off is most often a piece that has produced marginal amounts of timber due to the piece being low enough that it holds water, or has very steep rock cliffs or other situations that don't make for the best use for them, sometimes it just a piece of land they own that is surrounded by private land. We have a 160 acre lease in NE Minnestota and they are still offering land for lease in our area. Our group pays a little over $1100 a year for 160 acres. The size and cost for each lease if different. I would check out the Potlatch HSOforum.

I have herad that St. Louis County does not lease out any new pieces of land, but existing leases are still honored, but I have not checked into this.