• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New gear ? What did YOU get ?

chad austin

Well I'm sort of "new" to icefishing this year. I have been using my brothers equipment in years past, and he moved 7 hours away so it looks like I'm in need of a lot of stuff.

Already purchased a new wheeler - along the needed icefishing accessories - that I'm excited to try out, bought some jigs, chubby darters, etc, but I still have much to purchase.

The "needs":

-Looking at around 4 rods and reels, Jason Mitchell's or the new "Bro" Series, maybe some St. Croixs and Ticas

-New one or small 2 man portable, not sure which brand/model yet

-New flasher, Showdown possibly?

-A lot of tackle

-11# propane tank

-Rod case and tackle boxes

Wants:

-Underwater camera

-Arctic Armor (hopefully for Christmas)

-GPS with Lakemaster chip

I also have a fairly extensive list of homemade projects that are in the works. I've already mentally prepared myself for the cost of all of this, but I'm hoping to stumble upon some good deals along the way. I've also cut back on hunting costs this fall to almost nothing, which makes it a little easier.

So far I have stuck to little things but they are adding up.

I got a ram mount for my Expedition C which is now connected to my LX-5 battery so I can think about my next move without missing action on the sonar and I won't run out of batteries. (thanks Ed) I bought a couple Jason Mitchell rods and a Stone Legacy case. I put an old vacuum cleaner plastic tube in there to further protect the meatstick. Also bought a 5 lb tank for the heater and found a place that will fill it (rare around here). I got some weighted spoons because I am going to try for trout or salmon in a harbor of Lake MI. And I found a decent method of attaching skis to my otter sled so I bought the pieces for that. If it works, great, if not, then it will be easy to reverse. I just hope the price of gas stays down.

I think this is the year I get a new power auger. I've got a Jiffy Model 30 that I've had for years, it works great but I've got the urge to get a lighter weight auger.

Also, I keep getting tempted by the new Humminbird flashers (although I'll probably end up keeping my Marcums).

Other than that, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

I pick up 2 CD6 RBD and 2 CD5 RBD from Red Rock . It is the Rainbow Dace Darter and I really think these things are going to be great on Winni or any lake that you have good luck with Rainbow chubs. This pattern is a exclusive to Red Rock So you will not find then anywhere else. I can,t what till we get some ice to give them a test ride grin

I ain't got nothing yet. Haven't gone on my annual ice fishing shopping trip with the guys yet. We usually hit Cabelas, BPS, Gander Mountain and Sportsman's warehouse all in one day. I bought a tripod for my underwater camera last year. It was worthless. Couldn't keep the camera in position. I think I will get teh hole cover with cleats by marcum. I also want the ice anchor kit from Clam and maybe a few new reels for my summer rods. I broke two this summer. Not much else I really want...oh!!beside an Icegator.

i'm new to ice fishing so i got myself a couple fairly cheap rods, a used fish trap 2 and a used vexilar FL-8 just to get started, now i'm looking to get a used gas auger if i can find one for a fairly reasonable price. so if ya got one for sale let me know.

I had to get a new gps so I now have H2O C with a lakemaster chip and mapcreate...

Still waiting for some ice and to find a new spot to put into the thing.

Hoping to get a new power auger, maybe some extra work wrenching on cars will allow that.

You cant take it with you when you go, so you might as well spend it when u got it and have fun while you can.

Jiffy STX pro 9" Auger 3 HP (Can not wait to use this!)

Looking at the hummingbird ice 55 flasher for maybe next payday.I am also looking at a crank down trailer to build my own Ice Castle (smaller for thinner ice capability)and a Yamaha Wolverine is possibly getting worked into the mix smile