• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

John Daly arrested outside Hooters

snoozebutton

I've met Daly a few times and he always has time for his fans. What you see is what you get and if you ever have a chance to watch the guy hit balls, it is amazing. He had more talent than anyone on tour (10 years ago). One time I was following him at a tournament in FL. Par 5, he had 300yds left. A guy in the crowd (there was only 20 or so watching) yelled hit the driver. He looked at the guys and said "ok" and smoked his 7 degree pin high from 300 out. And his short game was always under rated.

Some people are just prone to addiction I guess. $1000 a pull slot machines, smokes, Jack Daniels and Chocolate chip muffins are his down falls. And when you throw it all into the mix, you end up being handcuffed outside a Hooters and a bad mugshot so every one has something to talk about. Isn't America great?

I remember the PGA Championship that he won back in 19??. I distinctly remember him drinking a Miller Light going down the fare-way. The announcers even mentioned it, saying that they must not have really seen "what they really saw", considering that was a violation of PGA rules.

No one could hit a ball like that guy. I hope he comes back, he was always a hero of mine...and still is. I remember when he had his "alchoholic meltdown" where he went into dt's at a PGA event. I couldn't even fathom being at that level.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
I never minded Daly as a golfer, actually. Didn't he win a major faster in his career than Mickelson?

Daly won both of his majors NINE years before Phil Michelson won the first of his 3 Majors.

Daly is 3 or 4 years older than Michelson.

Thats what I thought, Mickelson would have point saying Woods wasn't on the tour when Daly won his first, but still, that is saying alot.

Daly once claimed that he drank a fifth of Jack Daniel's every day during the year he was 23 years of age, and the various reported incidents include being removed from a British Airways airplane by airport security for harassing a flight attendant while drunk. He has entered into various alcohol addiction programs, including the Betty Ford Clinic, at least three times, and has experienced three divorces since becoming a professional golfer.

In May 1993, he was upset by his opening round at the Kemper Open, threw his scoring card in the scoring tent, walked off, and was disqualified. In late 1993, Daly was given an indefinite suspension for 1994 after quitting in the middle of the Kapalua International and told to seek treatment for his alcoholism. He was at first suspended for the first 12 tournaments of the 1994 season, but he came a few weeks earlier than expected and played in the Honda Classic, finishing fourth. These incidents resulted in a stretch between 1996 and 2001 without a professional victory. During this stretch, Daly was especially known for having spectacular blow-up holes near the end of rounds such as knocking multiple balls into water or out-of-bounds for a double-digit score or hitting a ball while it was still moving and then walking off the course. During the 1998 Greater Vancouver Open, Daly was visibly shaking as he tried to play, causing the television announcers to audibly wince at the sight. Daly's fourth wife Sherrie pleaded guilty to federal drug charges and was sentenced to a five month prison term.

Over the past several years, Daly has gotten his alcohol problem under control[citation needed] and, after winning a few minor tournaments, broke his long PGA Tour drought on February 15, 2004, by winning the Buick Invitational. He clinched his victory on the first hole of a three-way playoff by hitting a long, difficult greenside bunker shot to within inches of the hole. Daly went on to have some of his most consistent play ever in 2004 and 2005.

In March 2008, Daly's swing coach Butch Harmon quit, saying that "the most important thing in [Daly's] life is getting drunk."[5]

On Sunday, October 26, 2008, Daly was taken into custody by Winston-Salem police after he was found drunk outside an area Hooters restaurant.[6]

[edit] Gambling

In 2006, Daly revealed in the last chapter of his autobiography that he has had great difficulty with a gambling problem.[1] He claims to have lost between $50 and $60 million dollars(US) over the past 15 years. This includes losing $1.5 million in October 2005, after winning half that amount at the WGC-American Express tournament, most of it lost on $5,000 Las Vegas slot machines.[7] Daly has been able to pay his gambling debts mostly through making more paid public appearances and through sponsorships opportunities.

[edit] Drugs and the PGA

In July 1994, Daly claimed that many PGA golfers were cocaine users, and said that if drug testing was done on tour, he would be "one of the cleanest guys out there" which brought an uproar among the golfing community. Daly voluntarily missed the remainder of the 1994 season citing physical and mental exhaustion.

[edit] Health

Despite prodigious consumption of cigarettes and Diet Coke, Daly has never conquered his weight problem; he refused to partake in the British Open Champions Dinner because "You can't get this fat boy into a suit." He has admitted the only reason he does not lift weights is because the health club does not let him smoke there and he would get sick after he worked out.

[edit] Marriages

In December 1992, Daly was charged with third-degree assault for throwing his second wife Bettye into a wall; although the actual circumstances of the incident, by all current accounts[who?], indicate the charges were overstated and Bettye did not wish to pursue the matter[citation needed]. Daly has said in his autobiography that he did not, nor has he ever, hit or hurt a woman.[1] He apologized for the incident, which has now been characterized more as "shoving" than "throwing", and entered an alcohol rehabilitation center and took time off from golf tournaments in early 1993.

On June 8, 2007, Daly and his wife Sherrie got into a fight at a restaurant in Memphis, Tennessee, site of that week's tour stop, the Stanford St. Jude Championship. Daly claims that later that night his wife attacked him with a steak knife. He showed up for his 2nd round on Friday afternoon with cuts and scrapes across his face. [1] Authorities were contacted by him and came to his house, but his wife had already fled the scene and taken their children with her.[8] Daly's other ex wife, Paulette Dean Daly, has now been linked to Baseball star Roger Clemens in an alleged affair during Clemens' marriage.

Sounds like a great "down to earth" guy!!!

There is no doubt it's a serious problem. It's ruined his life and career. He needs to go to a serious rehab clinic and spend more than a couple of weeks there. There is a lot more going on than just the drinking. He needs to answer a lot of questions about himself to understand why he drinks the way he does. It entirely possible for him to get his life together. It's been 7 years today since my last drink. If I can do it he can to.