• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heaters...?

Jordyn Kaufer

When you say your house is small is it a portable or a perm?

On a 1 man portable the Buddy Heater works well on a 2 man and up the Big Buddy is a good option. I run a 20# tank with a hose. The tank sits outside so you can optimize your fishing space. Lots of guys go with an 11# tank that is easier to handle. The fan on the Big Buddy also helps to keep the frost down inside.

I'm in the same boat (portable?) that your in this ice season. Having only fished in friends houses I bought a portable this season and need to think about heat. Sunflower's have been the standard for my fishing in the past...awesome, reliable unit. I noticed the mr. heater cooker's that allow you to cook on them and you can buy an external hose assembly for hooking up a tank outside leaving less of a footprint. That's the way I'm leaning. I've never used the buddy series so I can't comment on those. Also the push button lighting switch is a handy feature if available.

Jordyn I too run a big buddy heater with the hose attachment and dependin on where I am fishing I either run a 20lb tank for longer trips or an 11lb tank for shorter day trips.

Hey Muc, when u run the remote tank do u leave the bottle inside or out? I had problems with my BigBuddy shutting down with the tank outside. And I do use the filter.

Just like Muc I always leave my tank outside and never had a problem. I also do not have any filter and disconnect the hose when I'm done.

One little trick I figured out was to set the tank down on a plastic bag so the bottom doesn't load up with ice and snow. When I'm done fishing I always have a plastic bag to haul away any trash.

i like the buddy heaters because the back and side are not hot. you can put them right against the wall and gain floor space.

I like the remote tank for the buddy heater. It seems like a waste to use the 1 lb cylinders and now that I have 20 of them in my garage I find out you have to pay to dispose of them.

Mr. Heater/cooker, 12' hose and 20# tank. Backup is a tank mounted Mr. Heater. Going to add a computer fan to the porty this year on the ceiling, reflectix helps a ton and doesn't add much weight.

This is what I run. My tank sits behind me in my moded Otter. Works great and have the computer fan.

I run buddy heater in my voyager off of a 5# tank and hose, but I also have reflectix on the ceiling, that little heater keeps it warm if it is not too cold outside, once it dips below zero outside the single burner tank topper comes out in a hurry. Definately do the reflectix on the ceiling of you ice house, it really keeps the heat in

I use a Mr. Buddy with the 1 lb or hook the hose up to a 20lb on long trips. I love the buddy but the only downside is if you get a draft in the shack then the pilot light gets blown out and you have to spark it again. That sucks when its real cold and you got a school of fish below the hole. If you pack some snow around the shack to keep the wind out and heat in then it will be perfect smile