• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reminiscing

Quote:
When we got a little older we could walk to the community rink at night - they even had lights! - and meet up with the boys whistle ah - young love smile

Lisa still gives me [PoorWordUsage] about the next door neighbor girl who I used to meet at the rink down the block. Trying to sneak a kiss behind the warming shack grin

Yikes, looks like sofa city buddy! Make the dog house you may be sent to your fish house.... great punishment!!!! I would say something here Jim to help out, but being I am male, nothing good could come from me saying anything. So I won't even try to butter the situation up.

My grandmother, has quite a collection of the old sleds and she uses them for Xmas decorations, it's kinda cool.

Nope, she wouldn't paint them because some day they will be worth MILLIONS. At least she thinks so.

And like I said before..... no words from me. I know better! I have graduated to smart male..... I just shake my head and say...... OK!

Quote:
Yikes, looks like sofa city buddy! Make the dog house you may be sent to your fish house.... great punishment!!!! I would say something here Jim to help out, but being I am male, nothing good could come from me saying anything. So I won't even try to butter the situation up.

Dead silence grin

I still like sliding with the grandkids too - just takes me a little longer to get on and off the sled. Ice skating is still probably my favorite though - and the kids are just getting started with that!

Glad you enjoyed the picture Lisa - this forum got me thinking about all these great winter activities. That, and defending our winters to the California cousins that are in town this week! Thanks for starting it DeeDee--

I have some great pictures of my grandparents at Winter Carnival Events - I'll have to hunt them up!

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Ok - I guess I come by my love of skating honestly -- here are my grandparents in their "long blades" - I think these were about 1918 or so. They skated well into their 70's - long blade sessions at Aldrich Arena.

Grampa and his brother

RooneyBros.jpg

Grandma

Francesonskates.jpg

This is Grandma in a Winter Carnival portrait - I think she was part of the royalty -- probably 1916 or so

FrancesGWinterCarnival.jpg

At my dad's we had this u shaped driveway and at the "bottom" of the u is where the snow would be piled. It would get 10+ ft high and we would dig on the side on the other side of the driveway and have little forts on each side and have snowball wars with friends.

On the down side, a remember as a child going out at 1am knocking snow off of the bird pens we had ( my dad had a game bird farm my sister and I would help with until we were about 10 and my parents got divorced and he no longer had the time) so the tops of the pens wouldn't collapse. And when they did, we would have to chase down all of the birds ( and I was NOT a fan of chasing after the wild turkeys frown ).

We also did a lot of snowmobiling, one winter at Thanksgiving actually, I was riding with my cousin and crashed and my leg hit a rock ( I was about 8 or 9 I think). I ended up having to go to the doctor and getting blood drained from my leg, which was bruised from the knee to my foot. I to this day have only partial feeling in my lower right leg on the front and there is a bump.

Oh, the memories, good or bad, it's still fun to remember being a kid some days. crazy Great idea for a post!

First fo all reading this was great. We still use the red block maker with the kids and we giveit a little shot of water to make it even harder. The one thing I LOVE todo is just take a walk when the snow flakes are falling big and soft. It is just a great way to think about life and what we are thankful for.