Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harvey lee

Rifle opener

45 posts in this topic

I will be traveling to the great state of ND on Tuesday for a few days of archery hunting before the rifle opener on Friday.

I hope you all shoot the buck of your dreams and I also hope more corn is out.

Good luck to all.

Good Luck Tom!

Definitely looking forward to it... 1 week and 1 day to go!

marine_man

All I have is a doe tag this year but I am still getting excited. I'm taking a first time hunter out this year so hopefully I can find him a first deer. Theres lots of corn up still which will make things interesting. Good luck to all and be safe.

Yeah, the forecast sounds miserable. Dress warm, be safe, have fun!

Sounds like they've backed off on the snow a bit... thankfully...

marine_man

Corn Harvest update: 11% off, it was 4% last week.

That compared to 71% last year...

Ouch...

marine_man

It is definately going to be interesting this year with all the corn. There is a large corn field surrounding the land I hunt on three sides so I might be doing some sneaking around in there. I still have my bow tag so I will probably take that out there on opener and see if I can get that filled before trying to find a doe. I am almost excited to see this much corn up this year. If nothing else I will keep some of the people that kick up deer and chase them with pickups at home.

I only hunted opener (Friday), had family comitments the rest of the weekend but will be out next weekend.

The score? Hunters 0 Deer 1

Yesterday was a pretty tough day for hunting - the wind, rain, snow and sleet had the deer holding pretty tight. A group of 6 of us were hunting East Central ND, all with buck tags and didn't see one. Several does, but you just about had to step on them to get them to move.. they were definitely holding tight.

Hopefully next weekend fares better!

On anothern note, the first hunting fatality of the season happened near Lisbon 90 minutes into the season. No idea what the circumstances were, but be carefull and save out there! Know what you're shooting at and what's behind it!

marine_man

I filled my tag tonight. I had a heck of a time finding a doe to take a shot at. I missed one that was about 200 yards out but with the crosswind I had it was a clean miss. at about 5 I had a doe come out in between the corn and the woods and filled my rifle tag. I did have two different bucks come out and give me the most perfect broadside views of them from abot 25 yards. Its like the deer know what tag you have in your pocket.

No doubt...

Update from the party for the rest of the weekend - fill 2 doe tags on Saturday, and one smaller buck on Sunday... still didn't see many deer.

Hopefully next weekend will be better, but with another system of rain, snow and sleet forecasted for Thursday & Friday, and a windy cool weekend it doesn't look good!

marine_man

Our party didn't see as many deer as normal, but still did pretty good. My dad, my two brothers, and I all harvested a buck and a doe. We had all nice bucks, but nothing to really brag about. The other four guys in our party, who hunt almost everry day of the season, shot four does and one of them shot a nice 4x5 about 130 inches. Walking was tough, but that is how we seen almost all of our deer.

Oh yeah, there was at least a foot of snow everywhere and more in the cattails, where we got most the deer up.

It was the toughest opener I have ever had in 17 years of hunting in ND. maybe just too much corn in our area and the bucks didn't seem to be chasing much at all. We did get a couple bucks but thats it. Back this weekend.

harvey lee, I got a couple questions regarding ND bowhunitng. Mind if I shoot ya and email with a couple questions?? thanks

No problem at all. I will do what I can to help.

leeharvey@frontiernet.net

Corn Harvest Update:

23% of Corn is Harvested, up from 11% last week.

Last year at this time it was 81%

marine_man

Agreed, but it sounds like the wind is coming up Thursay - Saturday, and a bit slower on Sunday.. going to be another cold weekend hunt!

marine_man

Sounds to me like a guy should just stay home. Approx 16 days in North Dakota this fall and it rained and the wind blew every single day.

Its been a very poor fall for hunting.

So you're the one thats causing all this weather, Harvey. grin I agree that is been horrible this year. I think I had two days that I could actually hunt the stand I wanted with the winds and wather the way it was this fall. Either way I would still rather be sitting in a stand and freezing my butt off than being at work.

The trouble I have with the bad weather its 550 miles round trip to sit in the house there.

I'm headed out tonight for another weekend of hunting... good luck to everyone else!

marine_man