• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How can I keep water out of my boat?

bullfroginc

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I have a 14' Lund with a 20 horse shortshaft motor. When I am cruising across the lake, I get a lot of water kicked up into my boat. I have tried removing the plug at cruising speeds, but it is filling up faster than it is draining. I have also tried repositioning my motor, etc, but I still have water issues. Any advice or ideas for me to try? I'm tired of bailing and wet feet in October. Thank you

This is my first boat, so is that the piece right above the prop? Or can I fix this by just adusting the angle between the back of the boat and motor? Thank you very much for the advice. Planning on taking it out Friday night, so I will make these adjustments today and then report back.

The water is splashing over on both sides of the motor in the back. Its not coming over the sides of the boat at all, just in the back. I already fixed the hole in the floor smile It is really pouring in though- 10 min of wide open and I have 3 inches of water in the bottom of the boat.

How about just a trolling motor battery? My motor is a pull start. I'd like to get a boat with electric start, but I need something that I can fit my wife and kids into and that is too much for right now. Through the summer I have 5 passengers and sometimes 6, even tried 7 passengers once, but didn't get any fishing done.

You should check the height of the cavitation plate on the outboard. Its height should be close to the bottom of the hull.

Or measure from the motor bracket to the plate, it should be close to the same measurement at the top of transom to the hull.

You'll find that it'll be 15" or 20 ". If you have a 20" long shaft outboard on a 15" transom it'll spray water.

You should check the height of the cavitation plate on the outboard. Its height should be close to the bottom of the hull.

Or measure from the motor bracket to the plate, it should be close to the same measurement at the top of transom to the hull.

You'll find that it'll be 15" or 20 ". If you have a 20" long shaft outboard on a 15" transom it'll spray water.

Check this out first.. I suspect that Frank's last point on this discussion is what's happening.

marine_man

Start with lifting it up an inch and see how that goes. If you have a GPS note the speed. Then lift it another 1/4 in. and compare speed again. Keep repeating that, when you find its sweet spot bolt it like M&M said. I'll bet your going to be pleased with the results, faster speed and better hole shot.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the lower holes. I took some pics if that would help. The motor just clamps on, no bolts- am I missing something? Also, while I do not have a gps, i do have a stopwatch and a calculator, so I can figure out the speed. Really all I care about is keeping water in the lake though. smile Again, thank you for the help.

5 or 6 people in a 14' boat? Check your boat tag. This may be illeagle.

The water is comming in from the back as you go? Like over the transom? I can't really picture this. If you can try to post a picture of the back of the boat from the tiller position (where you sit). Is it splashing off the motor, or is it swelling around the back and over filling over the top of the transom? Does it do it with just you in the boat? Or is it when you are over capacity limit?

Frank he doesnt need to bolt down a 20 horse short shaft does he? I had a 25 horse long shaft that was just screwed down onto the transom and I put a lock through each handle so it couldnt be loosened up or stolen.