Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yakfisher

Hawk

11 posts in this topic

I was out scouting for ducks near Marsh Lake this afternoon and came across this guy resting on a post. I have no idea the type of hawk, but I'm sure I'll get some help with that. Any C&C is welcome photo taking to post processing.

This one was taken at iso400, f5, 1/640s, 165mm, no EC

DSC_0060_edited-1-1.jpg

This one was taken at iso400, f5, 1/800s, 165mm, no EC

DSC_0063_edited2.jpg

This one was taken at iso400, f5.6, 1/320, 300mm, no EC

DSC_0068_edited-1.jpg

Nice shots Yakfisher. I would say that's definitely a Redtail Hawk. It looks very much like the one I had outside my window last winter.

yakfisher, looks like you've got a young red-tailed hawk there. Really nice images in good light, and well exposed! smilesmile

I especially like the comp of the first one. There's enough DOF so the background shows up and gives landscape context, and the post and rail of the fence add some nice texture.

Thanks guys, here's the first one that I took of this bird. My keeper numbers seem to be getting better, making it harder to keep the only the keepers of the keepers.

DSC_0059_edited-1.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about. Those first 2 are excellent. But, only 165mm? How did you get so close? These aren't trained ones like some people use, are they? Nah, they look too natural. I drove 60 miles on country roads today, looking for raptors. They have all but disappeared from this area.

Once again, very nice hawk shots.

Great eye contact in that last one, yak. That sets it apart from the first three. When an intense predator gives you the eye, it's a sweet image. smilesmile

Very nice shots Yak! Nice work these, they look very sharp and all the elements of a good shot. Love the backgrounds.

Not a trained bird X, just one sitting on a post at a WMA on the south shores of Marsh Lake. About 70 miles north of you.

Thanks all, I'm happy you've enjoyed them.