• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

some cheap oil i can't remember the name of

Question

We were in walmart the other day picking up some outboard oil for the boat and stumbled across a brand of oil that was selling for 6 bucks a gallon compared to 20 bucks for others. It was regular oil oil. Nothin special. I better look to see if I can find the name of it. Any way, I think it was a screw up on the stores part. So get into walmart in Saint cloud and grab all you can carry!

15 answers to this question

As far as cheap oil goes just remember that Walmart will not replace your powerhead if it throws chunks out the side due to an oil failure. Most better marine dealers sell oil in bulk by the gallon, pumped into the old oil jug you bring in. They usually charge about $9.00 or $10.00 a gallon. Since a gallon of oil will do about 50 gallons you would be much better off saving 5 or 6 cents a gallon on your gas and buying an oil put out by an engine manufacturer. All the engine companys put out the best oil they can to ensure a long and trouble free life for your engine. This helps to ensure happy customers and eliminate warranty claims. Walmart on the other hand goes to different oil makers and buys an oil that they can sell for $6.00 a gallon not the best quality they can get. Just remember that the $4000.00 you don't have to spend on a new powerhead for your O/B will buy about 400 gallons of a top quality oil!

kwkfsh, How are ya. If you get up in this area give me a shout.
I doubt any oil manufactorer will replace my 041 stil chainsaw or my 74 4hp jonhson or my 76 4 hp merc or my 72 25 hp johnson or my 95 skidoo 380 touring or my er ah HMMM if they boke down. If its TCW 3, NMMA Certified thats good enough for me. Now if I had a new outboard I would go with there overly high priced bend me over oil.

As long as it is approved by the manufacturer and meets the TCW3 requirements and all the other stuff, it is good enough. I ran cheap stuff in my '99 115hp and I was happy with the performance. There was no difference in performance with the OMC oil at $17/gallon and the $7/gallon Shipmate and Lubrimatic oils IMHO.
There is law that states that engine manufacturers cannot require you to use their own oil products exclusively, and manufacturers cannot void your warranty if you use another product that meets or exceeds the requirements.

Thats what made me curious. It was certified tcw3 blah blah warranty, blah blah american oil standards, blah blah. certified, blah. Oil is oil so long as its clean even to meet the standards.

The way the law reads regarding oils and lubricants is that if a manufacterer requires a certain product in order to keep the warranty in force they have to supply it free of charge for the duration of the warranty period. That is why they don't require that you use their products. However if you think that Walmart has the same concern for the quality of oil that goes into your OB as Yamaha or Merc or OMC does I think you are sadly mistaken. If you talk to some snowmobile mechanics you will find that they call Chevron 2 stroke oil the red death.

Hence, I didn't purchase any of it! All I wanted to know was how one could tell the quality of the oil based on qualities other than the name of the brand. How do you know its dump oil?, cause its called Tec.. something or other? and havoline is good because its called havoline, right? And the premium outboard oil is the best because it costs 35 bucks a gallon? Don't get me wrong, often times the better refined oil is more expensive simply because of its purity. Thats understood.

The way my Yamaha warranty reads is to use Yamalube or any other TCW 3 NMMA Certified rated oil. To be TCW 3 NMMA certified it has to pass the tests. I dont know anything about these special prescious little cute tests, I just know if it says it on the container it passed. No need to pay for a name brand gimmicky son o' bee-yotch..

How many of us have found off brands that are as good or not better then the name brand that charges extra for the fancy logo???

Just don't mix different brands, because variations on dye and other agents may cause chemical clotting.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 10-22-2002).]

Bwah.

If the oil meets the quality standards then why should it spell early overhaul...Just because it's cheap?? Well then...

Marine Oil verses Snowmobile oil....let's debate the difference, because I am very interested...

Most 2 cycle oils state for snowmobile and marine use right on the container...Where has anyone seen a 10w/30 like rating on outboard oil????

PCG

I agree with kwkfsh, Theres no way I would take the chance and use cheap oil if it means a early overhaul. I once bought Walmart 2 stroke oil and my 50 evinrude ran like dump with it. I never had any problems with lubermatic oil, but I prefer Mercury quicksilver or OMC oil.
As far as running marine oil in a sled you definetley are asking for trouble. Marine oil is not designed to have to mix at cold temperatures like regular snowmobile oil and could aslo cause a top end overhaul.