• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many sit all Day??

When I hunt Wisconsin I actually lay prone about 40 yrds out in a field and watch a funnel between to tracts of woods with a farm road cutting between them. I see alot of deer, many come within 20 yards of me and pay no attention to me. If you have trouble staying warm buy a solid fuel hand warmer and a back support. Sew a pocket into the support and keep the warmer in the small of your back. If you want to see how it works, the next time you shower let the hot water hit you in the small of your back and then move. evertime you move the water back to the small of your back you will warm up instantly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fortunate to hunt the family farm during the rifle season. When I do an all day hunt I will rotate from box blind to box blind or ladder stand, we have eight set up on the property. I will start on a food plot stand at first light, hit the woods and ridges late morning / mid day then back to a food plot stand for the evening sit. The short walk to each stand location and new scenery makes for a pretty interesting day.

I sit all day on opener, unless it's really warm. Not much moving when it's a balmy 50 degrees. Opener last year was raining and I was going to get down about 11, monster 8 pt. walked in. After opening day, I sit for a while, but then start still hunting. Saw 6 bucks last year while cruising. Something always makes me wonder what I would see if I had been sitting though. Something I may try this year: heat wrap for the back, the kind used for aches, etc. Hear someone else mention this works and lasts all day. Doesn't take care of "stand @$$" though. smile

ive sat both days (sat sun) all day since i was twelve thats 5 yrs and ive only seen 5 deer the whole time gets boring but a comfy boxstand (no roof) a heater, food, and warm clothes and ur set oh ya dont forget the gun and shells grin

I have sat all day on a few occasions, shot a buck albiet small one, about an hour before sunset. kinda felt I sat all day for nothing but who knows. I have walked into that stand with deer litteraly right under it. wish I would have sat all day then. I just think of what I could be missing if I didn't sit. I am planning on sitting all day this weekend and next.

Every day off for the next month will be spent in the woods. I'll stay in the same stand all day if the conditions allow. Things like changing wind direction or conditions condusive to stalking would prompt me to change my location. I have multiple stands for each wind direction and phase of the rut so I am able to change up the scenery from day to day. I also view staying on stand all day as better concealment. We've all heard or read that the first time you hunt a stand is your best bet...If you hunt a stand in the morning, leave, and return to hunt it again that same evening, then you are essentially hunting it twice. For concealment purposes alone you ought to sit all day and save the area the disturbance. If I have the time to hunt in November then that is what I'm doing. To do otherwise seems too counter-productive for me. But I am young fella and lack family duties or any other responsibilities that would keep me out of the woods. Also my hunting goals are rather large and the ends justify the means.

I can sit all day when im bowhunting especially this time of year when you never know what could be out searching. but during the gun season my curiusity always gets the best of me and I have to wander around and see whats going on over there and over there.

first one in and the last one out. for the last 6yrs every one in are group calls me one-who-thinks-I-am-silly for doing it but i always win are groups biggest buck contest.just a few years ago opening morning it was -10 and after about 3hrs iwas ready to get down but i told myself just another 1/2hr well i dragged out a ten point.

lots of candy bars and hot coco to keep warm.

most of the time is spent trying to figure out how im going to keep the kids from not doing the stuff i did.

good luck to every one and lets make it a safe one

The only time I haven't managed stay in my stand all day was opener a couple years ago when it was 7 below zero here. I made it till 10:45 and just couldn't take it any longer. Other than that I always sit the entire day from 1 hour before legal shooting time till 1/2 hour it ends. Don't wanna miss anything ya know!

I usually sit all day for the first two days only getting up to pee or to stretch a bit. If I am not done buy the first two days I sit in the mornings until 11am then go to deer camp for a couple hours then go back out. Usually people have the deer so skitish by day three that they won't come out of the woods in mid day unless they are pushed.

I sat all day in the stand every day that I hunted from 1983 to 1996, Unless I got my deer which was from 1985 through 1991 then the bad winters hit. the deer pop fell as did my sitting power. My dad always said you can"t shoot a deer if you arn"t in the woods. "aka on your stand" Then in 05 he was the only one left in camp and he got a seven pointer right from the living room window. Now if he doesn't get a deer by weds he will sit in the shack in the eve with the window open.

Owning an I phone helps. On days like today when I don't see much I can surf FM all day and read reports from people who do see deer. Heck, it's 12:30 and I'm in my stand right now! I just try to be out here as much as possible, not seeing deer still beats sitting on the couch.

Am/Fm radio gets me through the day. Sports talk radio is my savior. Plus the fact I hunt next to a very popular park. with tons of hiking trails. So on nice fall days the deer get spoked are way all day. But my one freind brings his PSP and plays Madden during the midday. Another freind will watch a movie on his I pod. Then theres the old stand by. You can read a book. Thats always a good one.

I love sitting all day because it's rutting time! I started doing it about 8 years ago and my success has gone through the roof since then - more sightings of deer, especially big bucks, and more deer taken (including my personal best last season at 11:00 am). It does get tough on slow days, but I just really try to enjoy being in the woods and mentally focusing on possible secnarios that could play out with deer coming from different dirrections and how I would handle it. I have brought a book on occasion, but I got busted once when I didn't hear the deer come in... I grunted and spooked a doe that was 10 yds away and a 120's class buck that was following her (this was at 2:30 pm). Now I always scan for a while before hitting the call.

I always bring a lunch and a beverage and do need to stand and stretch every few hours. I just love being in the woods. It's also fun to challenge yourself to see if you can be still enough to get birds to land on you or squirrels to get close enough to touch.

It's also fun to challenge yourself to see if you can be still enough to get birds to land on you or squirrels to get close enough to touch.

I agree! Last year I had an owl land on my shooting rail and look right at me for about 30 seconds before he freaked out and flew away! Countless birds land on the rail and numerous squirrels have stopped by to see what's happening. Hardly anything funnier than making a quick move toward a squirrel that hasn't realized you were there, 1 foot away. You oughta see them scramble!

Quickstrike, I am with you on the iPhone. I've watched a couple movies and made atleast a dozen posts while on stand lately...whacking does and videotaping non-shooter bucks in the meantime. With all the dry leaves on the ground my eyes don't have to work as hard and I let my ears do most of the work. I've been reading a lot now in turn.

I try my best, but I also have about a 4 hour limit, less if it's super cold. If I hear somebody shoot, I usually don't have a problem just going to check if they need help.

My cousin, on the other hand, can sit for 12 hours and not move a muscle. Doesn't move, stretch, cough, toot, sneeze, nothing.

Take a guess who shoots most of the deer.

DD

I normally try to sit all day, for quite a few years in a row I had my buck by 7;30. but the last few years I have to sit it out, I have gotten a few deer in the 11-1 oclock range so i stay till 1 for sure. Good luck to everyone.

all day baby!!! I have harvested more deer from 10:30 to 2:00 than any other time. it gets hard and frustrating not seeing deer at the peak times but the first time my dad took me bowhunting at 12 we got to our stands an hr before daylight and he made me stay their until dark. he is prolly the only reason I stay out all day.

I don't hunt from a stand, but prefer to sit on the ground. It can get pretty cold/wet on the ground too. I am usually good for 3-4 hours. My feet freeze so quickly though.

Call of nature is a little more difficult for me - definitely no coffee in the morning.