• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Stands

kingr

Does anybodybow hunt out of Climber Stands? Because I move so often during bow season, I'm thinking of buying one for bow hunting but I'm starting to think I'm better off with a traditional stand. Any thoughts?

Climbers were all the rage a while back, but there are some significant problems with them.

You have to set up in a strait tree. With a traditional hang on you can use just about any tree anywere.

There can be not limbs between you and the ground. With traditional stands you can use the natural cover provided by additional limbs between you and the ground.

They tend to be heavy and loud. Hangers are usualy one peice, climbers have at least 2.

Can you see witch way I am leaning here grin.

I like to hunt from ladder stands in my more permanent locations. Hangon stands for EVERYTHING else. From archery, firearms, varmits most everything can be done from a hang on. They are quicker, quieter, and lighter than just about anything else. Just about...

Climbers certainly have a few negatives but their positives far outweigh the negitives in my opinion. First off get yourself a good climber like a Summit or Lone Wolf, you really get what you pay for. My Summit stand is the most comfortable stand I own, very easy to sit all day in and I feel very secture up in the tree. They are great for packing in on long walks to your hunting location. I like to be mobile and hunt many different locations, climbers allow you to try many different location and the setup time (with a little practice) is not that bad at all. Many times I will use a climber in an area for a few years until a pinpoint the best tree to hunt out of and then use a hang on or ladder stand. I have also climbed several trees that were not all to strait, I actually like when a tree has a little lean to it becaues the stand kind of reclines a little bit. I also keep a folding hand saw in my bag to take out any branches on the way up. They are also great for setting up in different wind directions or if you find some fresh sign in a new area you can hunt it immediatly.

Now if I have a prime location I would prefer a ladder stand every time because I can sneak in and get setup fast plus I feel a whole lot safer than a hang-on stand. However my climber is very very important part of my hunting arsenal and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I personally own a climber but us it once or twice a year. My preference is a ladder stand that is placed weeks if not months in advance with appropriate scouting. I just feel safer and allot quieter in the woods.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have my climber at the base of a tree on private property so I can leave it but otherwise you always have to take with you or lock it up. They just can be some what of an inconvenience if you use it all the time.

mr

I have and enjoy rifle hunting out of a climber. yes the tree has to be fairly straight and you have to remove all the branches while climbing, but when you can get up 20ft you can stick out like a sore thumb and get away with it.

I guess I wasn't specific enough with my question. I have a hard time believing one can shoot a bow sitting down in a climber. So is there too much movement with standing up in a climber?

I know climbers and traditional stands have their place. I'm just wondering who has bow hunted in one.

Everything that has been said so far is very valid. I own and use all three different types of stand. The pros of a climber is that you can be very mobile, which is what I like - espcecially when the wind doesn't cooperate with your fixed stand locations. The cons of a climber are the hassle of setting it up and hauling it in and out. They aren't big issues for me, but it's always nice to just walk into the woods and climb into your stand without set-up. The straight tree thing can also be a con but when I do my scouting I scout spots that will be for my climber only, looking for trees that will be easy to climb with it. If you have that part of it taken care of from the get-go it eliminates alot of guess work later in the season. I would also agree that it is definately a must to get a decent one. For comfort and for SAFETY. I own a Gorilla climber and i love it. Easy to set up and take down... fairly quiet and very safe and comfy. I didn't have the $$$ to drop on a Summitt or Lone Wolf, but I would if I could.

Hope this helps... I rambled a little.

Cupper

One thing that I really like about a climber is that it is a fresh set every time and you get to place it to its best advantage right at the time you are using it. If a stand is already up I know that I might sit in it even if the wind is a little dubious. Deer also can't pattern you if you move every time you go out. It lets me be more flexible. Also, you never have to worry about your stand getting stolen and it is really the only way to go when hunting WMAs where you are not allowed to leave your stand up overnight.

I too have a climber, and three of the more traditional stands. I find myself hardly ever using the climber for many of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. Can't find a straight tree, too many limbs, the diameter of the tree changes to radically, etc... Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it's time to sell it!

heres the thing with climbers for me....ya, they may be a hassle to find a tree without many limbs but most hunters bring a saw along with them. Just gotta give yourself a little more time to cut branches off. I mostly hunt out of blinds but for the most part when im going up in a tree you can bet its with a climber. I have very few sets that are portable stands. If you prepare ahead of time get out in the woods before season and pick a tree, climb up it, cut off the branches you need. then when you want to use your climber its already for you to hunt out of.

I have risen to be a huge fan of ladder stands. Negatives are, heavier, not as easy to move around the woods (tree to tree), may need 2 people to set up and take down and takes up more room transporting. The benefit's out way the negatives though. IMO.

I have multiples of each of the three types of stands. All of my hangers & ladders art out, while my climbers are both at home. That is by design however. I didn't want my climbers out in the woods so they're unavailable for hunting in new spots. Normally I would have used them more, but I didn't hunt Ripley or WI this year & missed some bowhunting time too with going to WY Mule Deer hunting (rifle) for a week.

I like ladder stands well, but honestly I consider them more of a gun stand then a bow stand. I do use them for bowhunting, but I don't remember ever killing a deer out of one. Should I have a few times? Yes. For the amount of time I've used them I've had as much or more success with climbers than anything & certainly have moved much more with them. They are truly the most "portable" of the portables. That being said time & money being no object I'd rather have hangers every place I might ever want to hunt...

I can think of at least two deer I've killed from climbers, missed or screwed up on a few more.

You can't go wrong with a climber. Location, location, location. Yes you need a somewhat straight tree with no branches but a folding saw is all you need and you are in business. When I get to the base of the tree I am hunting at I am up within minutes. I don't need to screw in steps or put up climbing sticks or hang there and wrap the chain or whatever around the stand to make it sturdy. I bought my climber 3 years ago and haven't had a problem finding a tree to get into. Hunting the big woods there is no problem finding a tree. Out in western or southern Mn where bigger trees are hard to come by then yes I have to find an alternative but where I am and where I hunt it's the bees knees. In the 3 years with my climber I have taken 6 deer via archery and a couplw with a gun. I shot sitting down once and it was easy. You can stand up and get ready very easy as well. I own a Lone Wolf.

I guess I wasn't specific enough with my question. I have a hard time believing one can shoot a bow sitting down in a climber. So is there too much movement with standing up in a climber?

It may depend on the stand but you should be able to shoot sitting down, just make sure your seat and bar in front of your are close to level and they shouldn't get in the way. My stand has an open front so it is easy to shoot from a sitting position. Most of my shots are standing in my climber, you either have to see them coming a little ways out or move extremely slow when standing. It also helps to get up around 20-25 feet out of their line of site.

I have hunted out of every type stand there is or was it seems. For years I didn't buy into the climbers as everyone told me they were only a hassle to find a straight tree. 6 years ago, I purchased my first one and have used them in 4 states, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota and Montana. Yes, the hang ons can go about anywhere but to me are a pain to put up. Ladder stands are nice but heavy and don't go high enough for my archery hunting. Now, the climbers. I love them and that is all I use any longer. I usually have no issues finding a tree to climb up. They are to me the most comfortable stand out there to sit for a long period of time. They are also very easy to climb with and I can go as high as I woulod like with it. If tyhere are some branches along the way up, I just trim them off the first time I use the tree. These new alum climbers are light, very quiet and easy to carry around. I have shot numerous deer sitting in my climber. One can also purchase the climbers that are open in the front with no bar but you will need to be somewhat strong to climb with these as one cannot sit on their butt when they climb up. I doubt I will ever use anything other than a climber again.

I used my summit climber this weekend and it is the most comfortable stand I own. its very sturdy and lightweight, the bad thing is finding a good tree, I have multiple portable stands setup, so I do use both. I use climbing sticks with the hang on stands which are bulky and noisy to set up and carry in, so thats why they stay setup all fall. If you have alot of trees around, get a saw and a climber and you can stay mobile and comfortable.

thank you to a couple of you for answering my question. The only reason I'd buy a climber is for archery hunting and it sounds like you can shoot a bow sitting or you can stand up fairly easy without being detected in one.

if you want to sit to shoot with a climber you better buy one without bars around the top for example a lone wolf. i have a summit and there is no way i am able to sit and shoot at the same time. i love climbers but you also have to think more before shooting a deer out of one. for example: make sure your bow is out from the bars enough so the limbs will not hit the bar and ruin your bow.

One additional thing I like about the Summit OpenShot Delux is with the delux model, the seat swivels up to give you more room to stand. Great for sitting, and swivels up to stand.