• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stolen Deer Stand!!!

Powerstroke

A Lone Wolf Alpha tree stand and a set of Lone Wolf tree steps were stolen from the Burnsville area this weekend. The belong to FM member chuckwagon. If anyone seems or hears anything about a Lone Wolf combo for sale please email or post.

I know Chuck will post about it when he gets a chance, but I wanted to get it out right away cause unless the person is going to keep it, they usually try to unload it pretty fast.

This is a brand new stand and steps stolen during a management hunt.

my email is epfd217 at gmail dot com

If you dont lock it up, expect to loose it. Dont get me wrong, I feel bad for the guy, but the book say's you can not leave anything overnight, and in my book you should not leave it unattended durring the day without locks.

Hope everything works out. Chances are it is just a painfull learning experience.

I hate to say it but if its left on public land its public property someone told me that before. I found a guys stand one night when i was walking through the woods, he tried to hide it but i walked up on it in the dark i wanted to leave a note telling him if hes smart to take it out because not everyone is as kind as me and didnt take it. My guess then next person to see it might not be so nice.

Originally Posted By: crazyice
I know a guy who had three stands stolen this year, all on the same weekend, on private land. Sucks that you can't trust people more these days.

Wow! Time to set up a trail camera-

Then that will be gone next time too!!!

This is not meant to be a debate over locking stands. A person has a right to expect that their stuff shouldn't be stolen. Don't blame the victim here.

His equipment was placed there legally and was allowed to be left overnight.

If anyone hears about, that's the kind of discussion I would like to hear about. If you want to debate the finer points of locking stands, please start your own thread.

Thats a bum deal Andy. In the past two years I have had 2 climbers stolen on private property and they were way back in the woods.

There are some who just don't care. I try to not even leave my stands up on private property any longer becasue of the theft issues.

I hope he gets it back.

This is not meant to be a debate over locking stands. A person has a right to expect that their stuff shouldn't be stolen. Don't blame the victim here.

His equipment was placed there legally and was allowed to be left overnight.

If anyone hears about, that's the kind of discussion I would like to hear about. If you want to debate the finer points of locking stands, please start your own thread. (/quote)

I agree lockem up.

I hear ya.... last year I sat in my ladder stand in my Dads woods on opening firearms season all day, sun up to sun down... went back the next morning and the only thing that was left was my gear hanger....

Someday those people will get caught, and they will never steal a stand again.....if you no what I am saying!!!!

A person has a right to expect that their stuff shouldn't be stolen.

I'm really not trying to be a Dick but this comment is a little naive. Yes that would be nice but in the real world things get stolen every day, learn from this and bring a lock next time. I really hope you do catch them and they are punished.

I understand your opinion, but it shouldn't be accepted. It wasn't mine and I do use a lock, but the point stands that it should be safe. This is a person who I think is lower than the common thief.

I've hunted public land my whole life and I've never had anything stolen. I know it happens and there are some pretty low people out there. Its one of the reasons I want to be a CO.

That being said, one would think that there is somewhat of a code among outdoorsman. The only way this person wasn't one of us is if they were against the deer hunt and this was their statement. I hope it turns up for him. I know lots of people will keep an eye out for it.

It may have been a deer stand on public land, but its no different than parking on a city street, placing your bike in a rack, or leaving a job site for lunch.

I hate to say this but if everyone on this land was given permission to leave their stands out and a lot of people had that information. More than likely it was someone else hunting the land that came back well after dark to take the stand or stands. I belive there is a code that most hunters follow but there are alwasy bad apples.

I've hunted public land my whole life and I've never had anything stolen.

Sounds to me like your breaking the law by leaving your stands in the woods and also have been very lucky that you havent had stuff stolen, I have had stuff stolen on private land and yes it sucks but the bottom line is that DONT ASSUME!!!

Whatever man It is NOT legal to leave a stand in a state forest You know how I know this? I hunt a state forest and showed the DNR a bunch of stands left out there over the years and he either took them down or tore them down right before the gun season and by the way this was on PUBLIC land or should I say state/county forfeit land OH GREAT ONE!!!

With that attitude nobody's going to help you out. Sure can tell where you live.............

This info is from the most current hunting regs from the dnr:

"Elevated Scaffolds

• The use of portable tree stands is recommended, especially those which can be secured without driving nails into trees. Nails are a safety hazard for woodcutters and harm the forest. Personal property must be removed from State Forest lands. It is illegal to destroy state property, including the cutting of trees for shooting lanes. Littering and erecting permanent buildings are prohibited.

• Any unoccupied stand or blind on public land is public and not

the property of the person who constructed the stand."

As mentioned by powerstroke, there are different rules for different areas. This particular passage is from page 112 of the hunting regulations handbook. It is in reference to hunting in state forests. As it states, personal property must be removed every evening. If you leave a stand, it becomes state property that anyone can use. It is also illegal to steal state property. It also stands to reason that if someone decides to remove a stand that they have erected after they leave it overnight, that, too, is theft.