• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging Spoon Storage

Wookiee

I use the small plano boxes. However, I also cut a wine cork in half lengthwise. I put the hooks in...usually can fit 6-7 spoons on a half of a cork. Not as many tangles. and I can sort them to size/shape/type/etc. Kind of nice with cold hands...I don't have to sort through and untangle treble hooks. I just pick up a section of cork, look to find the right spoon, and tie on!

I use the small plano boxes. However, I also cut a wine cork in half lengthwise. I put the hooks in...usually can fit 6-7 spoons on a half of a cork. Not as many tangles. and I can sort them to size/shape/type/etc. Kind of nice with cold hands...I don't have to sort through and untangle treble hooks. I just pick up a section of cork, look to find the right spoon, and tie on!

Intersting idea, I may have to give that one a try. This would realy be handy for spoons with trebles - they love to get tangled in to an interlocking ball smirk

Thanks for the tip.

Yep, I'm glad I could pass on the tip.

I thought of it...surprise...sorting jigs,spoons, and the like while, yes, drinking wine.

It can be a little tricky cutting a cork in half lengthwise. I used a method not recommended...holding it on the counter with one hand and cutting it with a steak knife. Safe to say, I had too much wine that evening. crazy

If I did it over again, I would probably utilize a vise some how and a little hand saw or dremel tool.

Hanson,

How in the world do you decide which boxes to take with you on any given trip?!?! All those pretty spoons all lined up so nicely.

Those Glo-Devils get me going. You reminded me that I need more firetiger patterns for my Glo-Devils!

Hanson your way to organized! LOL..Smart system..I like it.

I recommend the type of storage box's with the Zerust Blue tab dividers. These rust inhibitor impregnated box's will keep your wet jigs from rusting off the hooks and split rings.

Lots of size options to fit most anglers needs around to chose from. Every Gander Mountain soft side tackle box comes standard with them now, and they are widely available separately.

They work, I have no rusty jigs, hooks, or cranks all season long now from switching to them. I tend to ride my tackle hard and put them away wet...I need the box to take up my slack..(I'm a slacker..Eh)...as I'm not nearly as organized as Hanson is. wink

I also like and use the Today's Tackle storage pouches. I especially like the size "C". I call it my Chubby Wrapper....Ah..Yupper...It's Always safer to "Wrap that Rascal Chubby". smile

Hanson where do you get those boxes from. Looks like an awesome way to store your spoons.

Fly Fishing Boxes. These particular ones are from Gander Mountain. I searched and searched for something that would work well and the Gander boxes have worked the best. Cabelas sells them too but the box sizes and shapes are a bit different and I didn't think worked as well.

The black "stuff" on the left side of the photo is foam weatherstripping that I picked up from Menards. Its adhesive on one side. I have a couple layers of weatherstripping stuck down to eachother to get more height. When you shut the lid, the weatherstripping compresses against the spoons and holds them tight. They don't shake, move, or become tangled at all.

I've been doing this for about 4 years now. It takes up a little more space but I've never had to replace a spoon because the paint chipped off or anything like that. If I do happen to lose a spoon to a fish, I know which ones I'm missing so I can buy replacements. Its a pretty effective storage system.