• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

House dog or Kennel dog?

2springers

Reading another thread got me thinking.

For those of you who have hunting dogs,

do you let your dog live in the house with you?

or

does your dog live in a kennel?

however you answer, please elaborate as to why.

(My apologies, I meant to put this in the hunting dogs forum. If a mod would like to move it, that would be cool.)

How old?

Mine are 4 and 3 years old.

Ruining the house?

Mine were crated inside the house if left unattended for long periods. When younger they did seem to get in some trouble when home alone, but the crates fixed that. Now they dont tear anything up at all. On a rare occasion they will find trouble, but nothing severe.

I know its sounds nuts, but what about a playmate to kill boredom, like another springer.

We loved our first one so much we had to get another, and are considering a third.

I have a springer as a house dog. I like the house dog part because they really become part of the family. I think it's easier to care for them while in the house and they just have a better bond while actually living with you.

I like to think of it as he allows me to live in the house with him. I have and English Setter that has been in the house with me since day one. I do have a kennel outside for him during the day now but from 10 months to 1.5 years old he was left along all day. He never destroyed anything, never got into garbage, etc. I either got lucky or did something right with him. He is a very well behaved dog inside the house and out and I can't imagine having it any other way.

I would love to have my Springer/Lab in the house more, but the hair gets to be just too much. However, he does become a house dog once his water dish starts freezing. Then in the spring when things start warming up, and spring shedding really sets in, he is back to being a kennel dog.

I have 2...yes 2 GSP's that live in the house. They are members of the family, and the wife doesnt complain so they get spoiled. As long as they get their exercise life is good.

Older dog doesnt get kenneled during the day, but for some reason I dont trust my younger dog yet lol so he gets to stay in the crate.

My dog is in the house. She is not crated anymore during the day and has free range. Never tears up anything (one time some paper, but they were bills so I was okay with it :))

When I was a kid we had an outside dog (German Shorthair), but we lived in the country. She would just walk into her kennel when it was time to go to bed.

My in-laws have always had outside dogs, except for very cold days. These dogs are more independent and tend to wander more.

I like having my dog wake me up in the morning to go to work. I like how she looks out the window and tells me when someone is walking by. When I go out of town for work I like the dog being inside with my wife.

I guess I may be the only one that has my two labs outdoors 24/7. Just because dogs live outside doesn't mean you can't bond with them. I have large runs for them with highly insulated dog houses. Dogs are very comfortable in the winter and they develop excellent coats and have no problems with late in the year hunting for waterfowl/pheasants. I do bring them inside on extreme cold nights. I keep them outside do to allergies to their dander in the house. If I didn't have that issue I would possible make them 50/50 dogs??

Dogs do just fine outside if cared for well as in their sleeping quarters etc.

i have 3 dogs in the house. an 11 year old black lab, 1 year old choc lab and a 6-7 month old sheltie. if one dog gets to be a house dog they all are. it can be a bit crazt at times, but generally not to bad.

My 3-year-old Springer has also been in the house since day one. The first year was rough, she was a chewer. Had to cordon her off into a spare bedroom while I was at work. She settled down quite a bit since then and now has the run of the place. Although last week she got ahold of a shotgun shell. She probably got to sniffing my hunting vest, which was draped over a chair in my office. She took one shell out of the speedloader on the vest, chewed on it a bit and left it on the living room floor for me to look at. This was not received well by me. Can dogs get lead poisoning from eating a BB from a shell? I figured it'll pass but still.

I wouldn't have it any other way. There may be a chewing incident once in a great while but it's worth it to have her around all the time. I even taught her to run pass patterns down the hallway with her pheasant dummy used as the football. Oh, and she hunts too...

Even in the best years how many days do you spend actually hunting with your dog? 60?

What do you do the other 300 days with your dog? A good hunting dog should not only find birds but be a great companion as well, IMO.

I might just be spoiled by my great little English setter though.

Even in the best years how many days do you spend actually hunting with your dog? 60?

What do you do the other 300 days with your dog? A good hunting dog should not only find birds but be a great companion as well, IMO.

I might just be spoiled by my great little English setter though.

Good point, I love having my springer in my house, hes my little buddy! He is very well behaved. Plus he is very protective of anyone that comes up to house or in the house! All bark and no bite though

Wow- lots of replies!

Im with most everyone here. My 2 Springers and my 10 year old lab are house dogs simply because they are part of the family. I dont disagree that a kenneled dog cant be bonded with but am willing to bet the bond is stronger with dogs who are house dogs. I just cant visualize keeping a dog in a kennel 24/7 year round and then expect that same dog to hunt loyally with you.

I too will admit my dogs are spoiled, but they are to me just like children. I also like to be awaken by the dogs early morning, although some mornings seem a little too early. I love having to kick a dog out of my bed 5 or 6 times a night, and yet they always seem to noodle back in after you've nodded off.

I guess my stance is, a working dog or not, is part of the family and should be there to share the family moments that occur within the home. I also think a house dog is better acclimated to human interaction, which is very important.

I have my Britt in a kennel outside. His kennel goes from under my workbench to outside. When we are home he also has run of the yard with his invisible fence. Garage is insulated. Spend a lot of time out there with him. Had house dog for years and when she passed wife asked for no more dog hair in the house. Personally right now my Britt is not quite 2 and is still very full of himself. not sure he is ready for the house yet. We have a great bond though and he is my buddy. Always has to be by me when we are out.

I just cant visualize keeping a dog in a kennel 24/7 year round and then expect that same dog to hunt loyally with you.

Then I've got a couple of shorthairs you need to watch hunt for me !!!

I've never had a dog in the house, and don't see that I ever will. I spend some time with my dogs every day...but outside, in the back yard. The older of the two is going on 12, and will probably not make another year the way she looks. I can tell you that this family will be a mess for some time after she passes, and she has pointed and retrieved more pheasants to me in her lifetime than any dog I've ever had. She's a real peach, but struggling with her back and hips at this age. Bonding with an outside dog is not only possible, it's inevitable. The younger shorthair (7 months) is such a high energy dog that having her in the house for even a few minutes scares the @#$% out of me. I do have an insulated attached garage that I'll bring them into on extreme cold nights (like -10 or lower), but that's it.

Originally Posted By: 2springers
I just cant visualize keeping a dog in a kennel 24/7 year round and then expect that same dog to hunt loyally with you.

Then I've got a couple of shorthairs you need to watch hunt for me !!!

I've never had a dog in the house, and don't see that I ever will. I spend some time with my dogs every day...but outside, in the back yard. The older of the two is going on 12, and will probably not make another year the way she looks. I can tell you that this family will be a mess for some time after she passes, and she has pointed and retrieved more pheasants to me in her lifetime than any dog I've ever had. She's a real peach, but struggling with her back and hips at this age. Bonding with an outside dog is not only possible, it's inevitable. The younger shorthair (7 months) is such a high energy dog that having her in the house for even a few minutes scares the @#$% out of me. I do have an insulated attached garage that I'll bring them into on extreme cold nights (like -10 or lower), but that's it.

Agreed. Living indoors or outdoors has nothing to due with bonding and hunting...NOTHING!

My dogs are in and out of the kennels all day long. They ride around in the truck with me etc. I hunt 3-4 days a week sometimes twice a day. ( waterfowl morning/pheasants evening) If you don't think a dog can hunt well that is an outside dog maybe you should come along with my dogs sometime and see for yourself how good they are.

How many pro trainers and breeders keep their dogs in the house?? Some have numerous animals.

I'm guessing they bond just fine.

Im sure they do bond just fine, Im also sure they hunt fine too. I never said they couldnt do either, only that they may bond "better" if they lived indoors with their master. And thats really not something you can argue, if you dont allow them inside because you would never know if the bond could be greater. One could also say I would never know if the bond could be lesser until I keep a kenneled dog.

Pro trainers and breeders would be an exception in my opinion. First off why would a pro trainer let someone else's dog into their home? And breeding is breeding, not quite the same as having a dog as a companion or hunting partner.

Im sorry if I offended those of you whose dogs are good enough to hunt with, but not good enough to live with.

My dogs are in and out of the kennels all day long. They ride around in the truck with me etc. I hunt 3-4 days a week sometimes twice a day.

Thats great that your dogs get to go for car rides, and get to hunt 3 or 4 days a week for 3 months out of the year.

well my golden retriever is a huggee house dog and has neverrr been kenneled.(spelling..)

anyways, we intended her to be a hunter my mom wouldnt let us so long story short,

shes a house dog not a hunter.

but now she has bone cancer is going to be put down in a few weekss..

and than we'll proally get a dog and train that one forsure..