• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick question

mrklean

OK with the new changes with no all season permit i want to make sure im correct in my thinking. If i go bowhunting this weekend and tag a doe i can buy my gun license and tag a buck for next weeks gun season correct?

OK with the new changes with no all season permit i want to make sure im correct in my thinking. If i go bowhunting this weekend and tag a doe i can buy my gun license and tag a buck for next weeks gun season correct?

As long as you are not hunting a lottery area, I think you're correct.

In a lottery area you may only tag one deer, total.

I hunt in an intensive harvet area so i can get up to 5 deer, 4 doe and 1 buck. I dont want to but the extra tag if i can use the bow tag then buy my gun tag for a buck because i was going to buy a gun license either way.

They are both right, as long as you are not in a lottery area and you tag the doe with a management or intensive harvest tag, you are fine. However, with the way it is set up now, I think you could use your regular archery tag and still tag the doe, and then use your regular firearms for the buck as long as you were NOT in a Lottery Area. You are only allowed a maximum of 1 buck/year, regardless of how you harvest it and you CANNOT tag it with a bonus tag.

If you are in Intensive Harvest, I believe that you can tag the doe with your regular archery and still buy the regular firearm and tag a buck. Think of it as a bag limit. Doesn't matter what combination of seasons or tags you use. You are only allowed one 5 deer in the intensive harvest area, only one can be a buck and must be tagged with the regular season tag, be it archery, firearm, or muzzleloader.

So I guess, to answer your question, No you don't have to buy the extra tag.

This is different from in the past when you basically had to keep saving your buck tag from season to season and buy intensive harvest and management permits.

Exactly, you can't shoot a buck with your bow anymore because your archery buck tag is used up, you can now ony shoot a buck with your regular firearm license or muzzleloader license if you so choose. In the past, if you used your main either sex archery tag on a doe, you couldn't use your either sex firearm tag on a buck because you were only allowed to use one either sex tag a year, I think that has changed. You need to look at like a bag limit in any combination of seasons, but only 1 buck can be taken and you cannot use your intesive harvest tags on it. It is actually easier once we get used to it.

So no, if you don't think that you will be shooting a buck with your bow tag, you can use your regular archery license to tag your doe and still tag a buck with your regular firearm.

Thats what i thought, i know since they ended the all season they said you just need to buy each license on its own so its like the bag limit like you said trig. I dont get why people are saying i need to tag it with the intensive.

MnHunter, FYI, you are wrong, they changed that rule this year. It is just as MrKlean found out and as I have said, it needs to be looked at like a bag limit. You can use your regular archery tag on a doe and still tag a buck with your regular firearm.

Klean, for many years we only got one either sex permit and it was your regular archery, firearms, or ML license. Once that was used in any season, you could no longer kill a buck, even if you used it to tag a doe. Too many people don't know that the rule has changed, it was part of the DNR's simplification of the rules.

Funny thing in the email the guy sent me back he was pushing me to buy an intensive harvest permit, "just in case the big one walked by later" i had to laugh DNR always trying ot get a few more $ out of ya

yep, the don't always understand, once the guns come out, my bow season is done for the year. I carry an intensive harvest permit with me at all times, they are good from season to season. That way, if I get a doe with my boe, great, I can use my management tag, if not, I can still use it during the firearm season.

why would you use your archery buck tag on a doe? so now your in a situation that if you do not shoot a buck during gun season, your screwed for even a chance of shooting a buck with a month left in the archery season. Everybody knows the 2nd rut is going to come around and more than likely you will have a chance at a buck with your bow after gun season. dont ya think it would be the smarter decision to pay the $14 or whatever dollars for a intensive harvest tag for a simple doe?

It depends on the hunter, for me, I coach, and I never get out after the firearm season, so no, it wouldn't pay for me. Besides, that wasn't his question. His question was if he could use it and still shoot a buck with his firearm license. He didn't ask for opinions. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a jerk, but saying he had to tag it with his intensive harvest was not right, he didn't want to have to buy the extra license.

Like Trigg said after gun season i probably wont be hunting because i dont have the time so i dont see a need to buy tags and let them go to waste thats what i did last year and wasted money. Thanks trigg