• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie help on the icee..

Jordyn Kaufer

iw as reading the thread 2 or 3 below me and saw it said where to look for crappies.

My question is what type of lake to fish..

And how to determine if that lake is good and where to fish on it.

it alos mentioned "breaks" what do you mean by that?

Thanks

Breaks generally mean where the "drop-off" is... or where there is an abrupt change in depth, often times accompanied by a change in bottom content.

Lake choices can consistent of a variety of ranges. Mostly, I would look for lakes that have decent crappie populations... and sometimes you can take it one step further and look for lakes with large fish populations. It's important to fish bodies of water that grow larger fish, and sometimes its a guessing game and paying attention to seasonal patterns and records. Also time on certain bodies of water can help you figure out which lakes hold larger fish. Stunted lakes can sometimes be a tough nut to crack...

Matt pretty much nailed it. Breaks/Drop off pretty much mean the same thing. Not all drop off are created equal.

I would use the DNR lake finder and look at what lakes have good populations of crappie. You can also stop at your local bait shop and ask them which are best for your area. OR, you can just go and start drilling holes and give er a shot. Crappie lakes can come in a lot of different sizes and shapes and water clarities.