Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smg04

BBQ mallards?

7 posts in this topic

im planning on cooking some mallard breasts in the crok pot with bbq sauce, i've tried this before and it didnt turn out too well, i think it was the sauce i used that gave it a funky taste. . . whats everybodys favorite bbq sauce for cooking duck this way?. . . any other tips to make duck this way, im thinking about soaking it in coke overnite before it goes into the slow cooker, heard this makes them tender

One thing I have found out is that it helps to brown the duck breast first. Also to cut up the breast into smaller chunks, dont put the breast in whole. I usually put the chunks in the slow cooker first with a beef broth for about 4 hours then drain and then slow cook them in the bbq sauce for the last 2 hrs. This way the bbq sauce doesnt break down too much from being in the cooker too long.

I have always been a fan of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

Hope this helps.

A friend of mine cooked duck the way you are describing with coke and BBQ sauce on a recent hunting trip and I thought it was terrible. Don't waste a good coke! Cure 'em and make jerky.

I would never use BBQ in that and ruin good mallard's. If you are gonna use a crock pot brown the birds, use golden mushroom soup, package of lipton onion soup, and a little milk and let simmer on low for 6-8 hours.

Sweet Baby Ray's or Famous Dave's Sweet-n-Zesty have been my faves for duck/goose in the crock pot or on the grill. For crock pot ducks try a mix of soy sauce and chili sauce, or Lipton beef onion recipe packets with about 8oz of water added (I usually cut up potatoes, onions, and carrots and throw 'em in there, too- easy meal!)

cut into quarters or fifths, marinate in bbq sauce for two days, wrap with 1/3 slice bacon per piece, secure with toothpick and toss on the grill. You can also use Italian dressing instead of bbq sauce.

gotta use famous daves with a little water added. The most important part is time. You have to cook these all day on a low tem. When finished the will just fall apart. They are undelievable how good they are.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Next time just call it a great Pike video, with some bonus Bass thrown in! Who's to know?
    • Good luck and shoot straight 
    • He said "getting wood" uh uhha 
    • Or I flat out suck, can't figure it out, on the bright side the snot rockets kept me entertained!    
    • The green up is still in full swing this week, with the help of consistent rain events and temperatures between the 50s and 70s. This, combined with recent snow in the northern portions of the state continues to put a damper on recently high fire danger across and has brought us to "Low" fire danger throughout the counties. Water levels are still running above normal, and the Wisconsin River is above flood stage. Trails across the state are likely to feature more than a few hints of mud. Bring your rubber boots or waterproof hikers and enjoy the scenery as the banks, forests, marshes and prairies respond to the influx of moisture. Challenging weather made for tough angling across the board this past week. Anglers from Marinette County to Brown County reported numerous attempts at walleye and brown trout. Murkier water didn't help, but reports came in from anglers that they were seeing success for non-target species, particularly northern pike. In Oconto County, the sucker run is rolling along and disturbing the bite. In Brown County, those that did see success for walleye noted that the fish were fully spawned and on their way back to the bay. Stream anglers are reporting a difficult steelhead bite in eastern Door County, while suckers have dispersed in Kewaunee County, leaving the steelhead there more visible as temperatures climb upwards. Water temperatures range from the upper 40s to the low 50s. There were two to four foot waves and small craft advisories in effect last Thursday and Friday in Milwaukee. Anglers at the McKinley Pier are looking for coho and chinook salmon, while brown trout were being landed behind Summerfest. Anglers in Racine County reported boaters and pier anglers landing brown trout as well as a few coho. At the Root River, water visibility was around 12 inches, with an improving steelhead bite and a few remaining suckers caught. Anglers in Kenosha saw more success for browns from the harbor than the south pier. Though no catches were reported from the Pike, the mouth of the river is open and visibility is good. Temperatures for these waters ranged from 47 to 54 degrees Fahrenheit. .
    • Spotted it on the way back from getting wood and tried to sneak up on it. 
    • Hawg - please take down my post - didn't mean to offend or break any rules     
    • I looked it up on google and found it but not the sprinkler it was $12.99. I don't remember what it was.
    • Just went home for lunch and....he's back.
    • Within the last few days the bluejays have discovered my suet cakes.   Also have a hairy woodpecker that has appeared recently. 
  • Our Sponsors