• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Culpepper makes death wish

IFallsRon

Free-agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper seemed destined for Kansas City over the weekend. But after negotiations to join the Chiefs fell apart Monday, the 31-year-old veteran was in Allen Park for a visit with the Lions on Tuesday.

It's typical for NFL teams to bring in free agents for workouts each week on Tuesday -- the players' off-day -- in case they need to make a roster move due to injury later in the season. Last week, the team brought in journeyman quarterback Tim Rattay for a workout.

But it's possible there's a genuine interest from the Lions in signing Culpepper, who has been out of football since last winter.

Daunte's ONLY good years came with a HEALTHY Randy Moss on his team. Even with Chris Chambers in Miami, he was a ball holding, confused quarterback.

Dallas was considering him as well, until Jason Garrett, a coordinator with Miami when Culpepper was there, stepped in and said "Uh, no thanks. He can't read a defense. Lets use Brooks Bollinger if Brad Johnson doesn't produce by halftime."

Ha ha.

Daunte, sorry dude...But you came into the NFL with Randy Moss on your offense, and after 5 seasons of seeing defense's adjusting to stop one player, you just can't adjust to your new eyes.

Now, with that said, I think New England should have called Daunte when T-Brady went "OWWWWWWWWWIE" and he'd be ready to get in there now and run that offense. Maybe he could run the Vikes offense with the 8 man fronts for 28. But after that, who else is there? I guess the Lions, but they just traded half of their receiving corps to Dallas. Kitna passed for 4,000 yards in back to back seasons before jettisoning Martz...So what does that tell ya'?

"This spring, he met with the Green Bay Packers but declined a one-year offer -- reportedly worth $1 million -- to be Aaron Rodgers' backup. Culpepper also worked out for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who were looking for a backup with Charlie Batch on injured reserve, but he decided against signing for the veteran's minimum ($730,000) without a roster guarantee."

DC was good with the vikings for hte simple reason that he could chuck it down field and have moss run under it.

It might be a good thing for the lions with Calvin Jackson, the guy is a stud, and if they could get that figured out with DC and him, they might have something.

I thin C-Pep has some good years in him if he can find the right situation.

While in MN he was able to excel with talent but when the wheels feel of the team they fell of C-Pep as well. He then went to Miami where he rushed back to be on a terrible team. No one can fault a QB for failing in Miami with what he had to work with, then he went off to Oakland, I don't think I need to explain that on either.

Like any player a QB has to be put into positions to succeed. C-Pep hasn't had that most of his career. When he did he flourished like any good player would, without it he stunk up the joint like any other player would.

I'm not saying he's going to put up P. Manning type numbers but I think he can be solid QB if given the chance.

Nofish, you should be his agent the way you promote him. I don't think the general managers or coaches question his ability, I think they question his mentality. He wants 1st string quarterback pay but I doubt any team will commit to that being he has been with a team for about a year now. He should take a job at the NFL minimum for the rest of the year and work his way into a starting quarterback job again for next year.

I agree he is asking for too much. Even if he can make it back to a pro bowl next year he needs to prove it first. One year at the vet. minimum sounds about right to me. Give him a chance to show his stuff and then talk after he has shown you something.

I think C-Peps pride is getting in his way. The man needs to take his medicine and do anything he needs to do to get back on the field even if that means working for subway tokens.

He's not in the position to be making any demands.

I should also say I'm not promising great things out of C-Pep, I just don't feel right judging a Qb's production based on his limited playing time for Miami and Oakland, thats just not fair. Tom Brady couldn't win with the teams C-Pep was playing on.

Detroit has some talent to work with and offensvily they shouldn't be as bad as they have looked at times.