• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honey hole... Not so sweet

Went out yesterday to one of my favorite grouse spots over the years, North of Pallisade.. The anticipation was high!! I've been waiting all year to hunt it. Last year only hunted it once and put up over 40 birds grouse and woodcock combined in a short 4 hour hunt. So you understand why I couldnt wait to get there yesterday morn Long story short...The well had run dry. Only moved 5 Grouse and 2 doodles in 4 hrs. Busting brush almost the whole time..Did manage to take 2 grouse with us but what a dissapointment...Anyone else have a honey hole go sour?..I know cover changes over time but last year to this so extreme....Pedators? Weather? Who knows, just disheartening.. Better luck next time I guess

Woodcock are also known as timberdoodle, so it's a shortened version... wink

uplander, I had a honey hole go dry last season. Literally though. It was a depression in the middle of the woods about the size of a large SUV, and it was covered with clover. Last year it dried up, and the clover was all gone. First time in 12 years I can remember walking in there and not kicking up a grouse either on the way in, out, or in "the spot". It's depressing when a spot you love dies off...

I found what I think will be a new honey hole. It is a small area in the middle of a large pine grove filled with hardwoods...many of which are on the ground. I walked into that area a couple weekends ago while two buddies were putting up a ground blind near. The moment I stepped in I had one of those moments where you stop and think to yourself... "I know there are birds in here". I took one more step and flushed three grouse. I got the first and followed a second through the pines until I got that one too. I WILL be back there another time...hopefully with my dog too.

Dragon... if you don't want to use that dog of yours grouse hunting you can always give her to me....I'm always in the market for a fully funtional spare set of legs with the upgraded nose package...and the steady to flush option...

Oh I used her!! She was on at least 20 birds that weekend.

That particular moment we went out to set up a ground blind and I left her in the trailer as I figured setting up the ground blind would only take 10 minutes. At least I had my shotgun!