• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer decoy?

I have never used a decoy but have done a fair amount of reading about using them.

If you do decide to use one, be careful when carrying it out to place it - especially during gun season. I would be very nervous carrying one on public land.

If you place a doe one, consider that bucks are known to approach does from the rear to check their estrous status during the pre rut - so place it in such a way that when the buck approaches, you will have a broadside shot.

Another tactic you may want to try is drilling a hole in the rear of a doe decoy then placing a scented cottonball in the hole. After doing that, and you get up in your stand, you may want to give out a few BAAAAAs. Create the entire illusion.

If you put out a buck decoy, consider that another buck will approach head on. In this case, you may want to put some buck pee down, and after being up in the stands, hit the grunt call a few times lightly. If you are too agressive with the call, you will scare the deer away.

I never bought one because of the money and I just didn't want to lug something else into the woods. But maybe someday I'll get one.

Best of luck if you get one, and let me know how it works out.

Thanks.

I used a buck and doe decoy last year the night before slug hunting with pretty good results. Had several does come in and just kinda wanted to check it out, then had 2 bucks come in that came right up to the buck decoy and were sizing him up. Had a decent 8 stick around by that decoy within shooting range for at least 20 minutes!!

I've used them pry a dozen times over the past few years. I can't say I've had very good results. I've mainly used a doe and the the reactions from most does in the woods have been neutral to negative. Most will stare at it and eventually come to act as if it isn't there. Some will face jab and stomp at it and walk the other way. Immature bucks have come within range but I haven't had anything mature come into one yet. I'm going to try again this weekend though - it's that time of the year where ya never know what can happen.

I really like the newer decoys. The Fl ambeau Boss Buck decoy looks like a total stud. He may be too big for the NE MN deer I hunt.

It would be worth the price of a decoy to see a bruiser come in and destroy it like on the videos shocked Some of the others look good enough. I have heard realy good things about using the combo of a bedded doe with a buck decoy.

I love the week before MN firearms season for bowhunting and I would only use it in that situation for saftey.

Lets hear some others experiences

Steve

ok boys i got ya covered

add the tail wagger to your decoys..alot of big bucks still hang up where u don't see them even with your decoy out there....but i've noticed with this added movement they almost always come in...if a buck is hanging up but see's an actual tail moving he comes in....or sometimes a buck just plain out doesn't see your decoy...but when a buck is trolling he's looking for deer type movements like a tail wag or an ear flick.

read the faqs it tells about the tail wagger and about decoys....right next to that is decoy tips.

even if u don't like the wagger the tips are still nice.

Is there a way to do the tail without buying the wagger? I have heard something about putting a light white towel or rag or something that will move a little in the wind? Sounds kinda fake, just wondering if you have heard of that?

I have used the montana buck decoy once this year. It is nice for the fact that its is amll and easy to carry in to your stand. I had two does come in and when they saw it they started stomping and ran the other way. I havent seen how the bucks react to to it yet. I would think that a 3D decoy would b ebetter tho

I got a boss buck. Besides it being a pain in the rearend to set up it works good in the right spots. Side note never put scent derectly on the. Scent goes bad over time and washing it after every use gets old.

Like to hear people's thoughts on this method of hunting. How it works when it works if it is worth the $$$.

Which one is best -- What do you guys know?

thanks

Hitman

SO I am interested, did you pick up a decoy? I am considering the 2D Montana decoy's