• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for my first portable...any help

MrBojangles

I'm looking for a 2 or 3 man portable ice shelter for under $600. If it's a 2 man shelter i need it to be a roomy 2 man. I'm looking for the best cost / quality ratio. If anyone could let me some info on the pros / cons of a few of the portables out there i would appreciate it.

Thanks,

a very roomy portable that works great for us is the fish trap Voyager, not sure if they make it still but i got mine about three years ago and still love it.

it can get pretty heavy if your draging it through snow, but i can get it into my 1/2ton by myself and i'm only 140lb's wet. and it has a third seat also that you can do lots of things with

between my family and i, we have gone through quite a few portables and this is the only one that has lasted this long with out having to upgrade

As of now I have a Eskimo QuickflipIII and it has been good to me. It is a 3 man poratble with a bench. I am looking to move to a smaller 2 man this year. My current house is way big enough for 3 grown men and the best is you can stand up in it no problem!!! The only thing that I do not like about it is it is to big for one guy. I dont mean to big in wieght as I can lift it into and out of my truck no problem but it has to much room for when i am by myself!!!(if that makes sense). Most of my fishing in my portable is done during early ice with tip-ups and I dont need the big house anymore. I waould say take a look at what you need it for and if you use it all year or if you move into a perm once the ice gets thick and dont use the portable after that. I would say that you $600 price range will get you about any house you want!!!

MrBojangles, there are many out there with different likes and dislikes. It really comes down to what you find and prefer for models, seats, canvas, weight ect. I will tell you this. Of all of them I have had so far, the Otter Sleds bar none have the most durability... Other things I could maybe pick or choose, but for strength and durability, the Otter sleds are second to none.

Many of the stores are putting up the portable displays. Gander in Forest Lake had a bunch up and Sportsman Warehouse was stating to put some stuff up.

If you are going to pull your portable across the snow than you will want a flip style - they are designed to be pulled. larger 2 man/3 man can be tough to pull by hand, better to have a wheeler/sled.

If you always plan on driving to your spot, the cabin style work well. I like the Clam 6800, 5600 can be tight when you have all your gear.

Personally, I love the size of my Otter lodge. It is perfect for 2 people and all the gear, 4-6 holes with room to spare. I think the size is comparable to a FT Voyager. The new frabill's are worth looking into.

I like my Eskimo QF III, but I see the changed the color from green to Red so I won't be getting a new one anytime soon. I love being able to stand and streach when needed and tons of room. 81"x 96" set up I belive. My wife can pull it as long as the snows not to bad after the ice gets thick enough I just drive to my spots. They are a bear in deep snow though or I have to much stuff along.

the Otter Sleds bar none have the most durability... Other things I could maybe pick or choose, but for strength and durability, the Otter sleds are second to none.

It looks like Frabil as well as the X series by fish trap have awesome tubs. No longer does Otter have the market on durability. Unless I'm missing something, which could very well be.

I have a clam youkon and love it, It is perfect for two and a little crammed with three but I have done it. My brother in law has a clam voyager and it fishes three very comfortable. The sleds are very durable in these clams as well. My cousin has an Eskimo quikflip 3 and it is also a very nice portable and can comfortably fish 3 as well. He has had his for probably 5-7 years and it is still in great condition. The Eskimo too has a very durable sled. I myself fish alone a lot as well so I went with the clam two man which I have no problem pulling on my own. I do not know a ton about the Otter shacks but have heard good things about them as well. If you go with any of the ones mentioned here you will be very happy. good luck

MN Angler

Depends on what bells and whistles you want. I just needed something to get out of the wind in on cold days. If thats what you need look into a "hub" style portable. I go one of the eskimo hubs, a three man, and it cost less me about 250 new.

I have a Eskimo profish 300 and I love it plenty of room for my wife and kid to come with and six hole and had room to move around. but agree with essox magnum they suck to pull in deep snow. Going to try hyfax runners on the tub to see if that helps

I like my Eskimo QF III, but I see the changed the color from green to Red so I won't be getting a new one anytime soon. I love being able to stand and streach when needed and tons of room. 81"x 96" set up I belive. My wife can pull it as long as the snows not to bad after the ice gets thick enough I just drive to my spots. They are a bear in deep snow though or I have to much stuff along.

I too have a QFIII it is super comfortable for two and with the seat built in it takes minimal modifications to be ready to fish. Although tweeking your shack is half the fun of fishing!