Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fat Rap guy

Are republicans naturally scared?

115 posts in this topic

I see a lot of republicans trying to scare people this election cycle. To be fair, it runs in both parties, but I see it a lot more in republicans personally. This seems to fit with a study done on personality. Researchers were studying personality in children in 1969. They asked nursery school teachers to rate the personalities of the kids they taught.

Twenty years later, they decided to compare the subjects' childhood personalities with their political preferences as adults. They found arresting patterns. As kids, liberals had developed close relationships with peers and were rated by their teachers as self-reliant, energetic, impulsive, and resilient. People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics.

This study clears some things up. I always thought republicans were trying to stir up fear as a political gimmick to help them win elections. It looks like they might just be really scared much of the time. I hope they do more follow up studies.

Link

By those definetions..I should be a republican. O.o although i'm quite impulsive...

"in 1969 Berkeley professors" about says it all.

Actually I did read the entire article and found it rather interesting but also very predictable in its findings. I would expect nothing else from a study conducted in CA in 1969, at the most liberal university in the country, by professors of the socialogy dept. Again a interesting read for it's entertainment value.

Now please excuse me while I clean my messy office, throw out my books and travel mags. turn my radio stations from classical to country,oh I almost forgot, cancel all my travel plans.

Tune in next week for and article from "guns and Ammo" on why liberals ...........

The teachers didn't know what party the children would belong to when they grew up and the professors couldn't make the participants become republican or democrat. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

Yea, people vote replublican cause they're scared. How about you guys turn off The Daily Show and Bill Mar for five minutes.

Well, I don’t know, it’s nice to have a little reassurance for everyone I think, even if the study you write about is certainly very interesting. I mean, I have rather liberal political views, but I’m against any kind of radical views, so while I don’t support radical conservativity, I don’t think being radically liberal and wanting to change everything is the way to go – some things are fine the way they are..

the study is the study, but I would say this about your subject heading....I think everyone in this country is or at least should be scared of what is happening and coming....

Trollin, trollin, trollin,....dem airsacs being swollen, keep dem lakers rollin, Burntside!!!

Jig 'em on, head 'em up. Head 'em up, jig 'em on. Jig 'em on head 'em up Burntside! Count ‘em out, stack 'em high. Stack ‘em high, count ‘em out. Count ‘em out, stack ‘em high on Burntside!

"in 1969 Berkeley professors" about says it all.

Actually I did read the entire article and found it rather interesting but also very predictable in its findings. I would expect nothing else from a study conducted in CA in 1969, at the most liberal university in the country, by professors of the socialogy dept. Again a interesting read for it's entertainment value.

Now please excuse me while I clean my messy office, throw out my books and travel mags. turn my radio stations from classical to country,oh I almost forgot, cancel all my travel plans.

Tune in next week for and article from "guns and Ammo" on why liberals ...........

besides the study being flawed because of the political bias of the writers, of course, FRG is the same guy who buys anthropogenic global warming without question, one sentence struck me. it was something to the effect of conservatives before 23 feel victimized. ROFL!! the victim is the make up of the DNC voter.

it's the left that trusts government to run their health care, to decide what to do with their property, don't trust individuals with gun ownership, trust government with their tax money.

these are the same people who see a one degree rise in earth's temp and go into a "sky is falling, you taxpayers need to pay more for this crisis" screed

Tacklejunkie, The dems don't have a monoploy on being the victim. Republicans are victimized by every media outlet and every study that says something they don't like.

I can't comment on the validity of the study as I do not know the full extent of its scientific merit but I can certainly tell you that republicans play the part of victim every bit as good as the dems.

In all reality its going to be hard to find moral high ground on either side so you can probably give up on that for now.

Tacklejunkie, The dems don't have a monoploy on being the victim. Republicans are victimized by every media outlet and every study that says something they don't like.

I can't comment on the validity of the study as I do not know the full extent of its scientific merit but I can certainly tell you that republicans play the part of victim every bit as good as the dems.

In all reality its going to be hard to find moral high ground on either side so you can probably give up on that for now.

i agree. if the republicans lose this year, i wont blame the media. some will. it will be the fault of the GOP under GWB and ted stevens. thats it.

besides, this 'study' pops up every election cycle for as far back as i remember

no victim here....i am a happy old fart

strange year...my very republican brother is voting obama due to his unhappiness with the GOP and ma, a democrat, is voting mccain.

my world had turned upside down

I see a lot of republicans trying to scare people this election cycle. To be fair, it runs in both parties, but I see it a lot more in republicans personally. This seems to fit with a study done on personality. Researchers were studying personality in children in 1969. They asked nursery school teachers to rate the personalities of the kids they taught.

Twenty years later, they decided to compare the subjects' childhood personalities with their political preferences as adults. They found arresting patterns. As kids, liberals had developed close relationships with peers and were rated by their teachers as self-reliant, energetic, impulsive, and resilient. People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics.

This study clears some things up. I always thought republicans were trying to stir up fear as a political gimmick to help them win elections. It looks like they might just be really scared much of the time. I hope they do more follow up studies.

Link

Yet critics retort that the research draws negative conclusions about conservatives while the researchers themselves are liberal. And it's true that over the decades, a disproportionate amount of the research has focused on figuring out what's behind conservative behavior

Some Berkley professors did a "study" finding negative conclusions about conservatives. How shocking, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

If one can believe what they hear and see on the media stations, yes, the GOP has went the avenue of scare tactics. I have to believe that will only hurt them.

strange year...my very republican brother is voting obama due to his unhappiness with the GOP and ma, a democrat, is voting mccain.

my world had turned upside down

I hear you there TJ. I have a good friend that is an attorney, income way over $250K that is voting for Obama and my Uncle that gets day to day by the grace of God and has always leaned left on everything but guns and hasn't voted GOP since "Nixon got us out of Nam" is pushing hard for McCain.

I know I am scared, so I cling to my guns and religion.

Me too. Gun sales are up nationwide thanks to the coming of the Obamessiah.

I remember Y2k, I was sitting by my computer watching to see if it was going to blow up, burst into flame, start smoking or even spark a little.

For some reason I was a little dissappointed when it just updated the time as it was supposed to. I was promised fire works dang it and I never got any.