• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck Grunts

Does anyone have any audio files of deer grunts that have been successful for you? I can pretty much only find typed out techniques (i.e. rrrrrr....rrrrrrr) which doesn't really help if you are trying to imitate a successful approach.

FYI, I am hoping to do some calling up on the Iron Range next weekend...

TMT - if you have a good resource, please feel free to shoot it over to me at landmagr @ hotmail dot com.

Thanks for all the input guys. I already have the True Talker, but unfortunately it didn't come with a video... I will try the F&S resouces tonight.

I will 4th the tru talker! A great call that anyone can use. I have grunted in several bucks over the years, I let all of them go but wow was it fun.

Remember to keep things simple, most of the time 2 or 3 short grunts will get the job done.

I like the soft grunts of the True Talker-- Last year I called in 6 different bucks using combinations of can calls and buck grunts. I also really liked the Roar combo call for windy days or for reaching out a little farther.

I was strictly blind calling over a dried up beaver pond surrounded by 10 year old clearcuts up by Cook. The area I was hunting was pretty much undisturbed-- and hunting mid week I am sure helped.

I won't be caught in the woods without a combination of Can calls and grunt calls wink

Several years ago at first light I had a buck cross a grassy opening and then spook when he got down wind 100 yards or so. 7 minutes later I saw a mature bodyied buck starting across the same opening. I grunted at him trying to get him to stop with no luck. As he approached the other side of the grassy swale I tipped over the can. He stopped on a dime- I turned it over again and he came on a trot to within 20 yards before he swung downwind and busted me cry I could not see him in the dark brush and when he stopped again to look back at 40 yards I missed him cry It was 11 minutes into leagal shooting time and still very dark. He came from 80 yards or so very fast. Since then I have become a believer. I have had guys in our group watch as nice bucks moved by their stands without offering a shot. I am convinced that any call would have given them a shot opportunity cool

Give it a shot. Some of the calls come with videos and it is a wise investment wink

You can fool a deers ears but not his nose- human scent is a no no blush

Good Luck and BE SAFE

Steve

i love my tru talker. there are so many different grunts you can call in just the one call. have called in many bucks over the year. havent had luck yet this year all the days i have been out its been to windy to even try. alot of the hunting DVD's i have most use the tru talker and have learned from watching them on how to call. good luck with what ever one you buy the are well worth it to have in the woods with you.

iceman

I have had a few bucks grunt real close to me and the buck growl sound the most accurate of them all, true talker is a close second. I watched a doe grunt at 5 yards a couple days ago and she didn't even open her mouth, I don't know if they usually do or not but wierd. The closest interpretation of what a grunt sounds like is "nnneerrrrrpppppp" in a more nasal tone.

im with those guys on the buck growler made by mad calls. last weekend in camp ripley my dad called in a 200 plus pound 10 pointer by using the bug growler. i just bought one like 2 days ago so i havent gotten to use it yet but i bet it will come in handy

For the people who have success regularly, what kind of sequence do you all do? How long should the notes be, and do they change it pitch throughout the note? Im a total rookie, but I believe that it can work if you know how and when to do it. So, Im trying to learn how and when to do it.

If you can go buy a Durray outdoors video those guys are constantly calling and stuff. Ive learned alot from them. Or go on the internet and do a search you can usually find audio and video on this.

I have two grunt calls, one is the tru talker, the other is a lohmans strap on that goes on the wrist. I hit both grunts, rattle, then finish with the tru talker again because it sounds more dominant. If I see a deer that isn't responding, I'll hit the can 3-5 times in a quick session, has brought them in running before.

mad calls for the win...took out my tru talker the last couple mornings and it's sticking...i couldn't even do the normal deep buck grunt...i had to hold the bands down and do a small buck and doe calls....i can't think of a day that my mad calls have froze up.

Minnesotahunter....u should add the snort wheeze to your sequence....wishful thinking saying it works everytime lol...its not magic...but when it does work its awesome.

hunter4life...you just gotta experiment and hear deer grunt in real life and you'll see there really isn't a specific sequence...and all deer sound different just like humans...just don't over do it...but even then i've heard bucks do tending grunts that sound like a motorcycle running through the whole woods lol.

i've had more bucks respond to doe bleats so far this year...does will normally ignore buck calls...when u do a doe bleat u call in bucks and does...when u call in does they'll bring a buck in with them sometimes.

I have not been impressed with my true talker. It was sticking on me yesterday too and its always tucked in a side pocket. I also think the tone is to deep. I haven't tried the growl or snort wheeze yet, but I'm going to. That little lohman wrist call is the best I have used so far. At first it sounded cheap to me, but after hearing a number of grunts, it has the best tone, and the deer always respond to it. However, it isn't durable at all, I have two of them and seem to have to piece them together when the strap breaks, or the tube falls off. Funny, but when you find something that works, its amazing what you will do to try and keep it.

what seems more effective this time of year, buck grunts or doe bleats. I was thinking of using doe in heat scent and doe bleat combo this week while out but would like some input on others experiences this time of year.

Thanks

Bleats work great - especially this time of the year. I always throw out a few grunts as well for good measure. I use an A-way Bowgrunter Plus... it's an inhale type tube so you'll never have to worry about the reeds freezing up like the True-Talker. Also it's hands-free... clip it on your collar and stick the tube in the corner of your mouth so you can work at the call while at full-draw.