Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChuckN

Oil change question

9 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions...

I'm a newer owner of a Honda CRV. Dealer and manual states that when the oil life computer reads 15% life, change it.

At this rate I'd have 10,000 miles before an oil change. confused

Do you obey the oil life computer, or just change it out every so many miles? It's due for a change IMO, but computer says it's 50%.

The oil is synthetic blend 5W-20.

An oil change is the cheapest preventative maintenance one can do to extend the life of an engine. Anytime between 3k and 5k would be ideal. If you go longer than 3k make sure you at least check the oil.

I agree.

I'm going to change it.

Just curious about this "gadget" and the pro's opinions...I think it can mislead people.

I purchased my first vehicle that had a OLM system in it in 2004. For the first 50K or so I changed oil every 5k no matter what the percentage remaining was. For the last 25K, I've relied on the OLM. I use the regular Mobil 1 5W-30 with a Mobil 1 filter and check my oil level on a regular basis. In the winter the % goes down much more quickly, and I typically get between 5-6K before it's down under 10%. During the warmer months even with towing, I get between 7-8K before it's under 10%. I do all of my own maintenance and keep an eye on things pretty closely and haven't noticed any adverse effects doing it one way vs. the other. It pretty much works out that I change the oil twice a year vs. the 3 that I was typically doing.

The oil life monitors are just fine. Just make sure you check your oil when you fill up and top it off when needed and you'll be just fine. Modern oils are good and you're just wasting money changing the oil at 3000 miles; a 7500 mile change interval is much more sensible. Your manual also probably says something about time as well as following the OLM; say 1 year or when the OLM says so. My truck is similar so I follow the time as well as mileage recommendations. If you have any doubts use Oil Analysis to be sure.

if its still under warranty, its not a bad idea to go every 3-5k. if you have engine issues, the first thing the dealer is going to ask for is Oil change recipts. if you are at 15k and only show 2 oil changes, they may not want to warranty your engine.

If it's under warrenty and the manual says to follow the OLM (usually stated as OLM or every 12 months) then follow the OLM and you will be fine.

If it's under warrenty and the manual says to follow the OLM (usually stated as OLM or every 12 months) then follow the OLM and you will be fine.

Exactly.