• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to tell does and fawns apart

It is pretty easy to identify individual bucks, but I figured out a pretty good way to identify does and fawns. It isnt foolproof, but it is pretty accurate. Simply, the tail. There is an unbelievable difference in the tails. Some are big, some are little, some have a lot of black, some have none. Pay attention and you will be amazed. Just thought I would pass this along for those long hours on stand coming up.

I look at the nose and the size of the ears too. and look at there backs does will start to have a slump in there back vs a fawn where its pretty strait. if you have binocs look for a buttom buck on the top of the head.

The other cue is behavioral. This time of year, male fawns are being displaced by antlered males. Thus, buttons are killed at disproportional rates (compared to female fawns) because they're out wandering alone for the first time in their short lives. In other words, there is no reliable size reference so they often look bigger than they really are. The take home is be careful with single antlerless deer because it just might be a button buck.

Also, take a good look between the ears, there might be little tufts of hair.

Quote:
In other words, there is no reliable size reference so they often look bigger than they really are. The take home is be careful with single antlerless deer because it just might be a button buck.

Well said. I learned that lesson a few years back. Take some extra time with the scope or binocs before squeezing the trigger, especially in open areas such as field.

Last year I decided to eat all fawns as the meat was so much tastier. I shot 4, but alas in the late evening light I finally messed up and took a button buck. I grimaced with each tender bite smile