• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Spearing - Basic Question

duck2

Hello.. I am going to be deploying my newly built 4' x 8' spear house this season and have a pretty elementary question: What do you do with the chunk of ice that you cut out of the lake. Is it feasible to shove it down under the surface of the ice and out of view of your ice hole? If you have to take it out of the ice, what is the best way to wrestle a large chunk of ice out of the lake?

Also, can anyone offer an opinion on the Ice Saw? It seems like a good tool, but some real life testimonials would be appreciated. I would love to avoid the use of noisy and fume spewing chain saws and power augers.

Thanks

i do the same as pike, i have a ice tongs and pull it out everytime i cut the whole. Chisel a bit of it out, and then take the ice saw and cut it out and then pull it out with the ice tongs. I have never pushed one under the ice, becuase you never know where its going to go.

Duck2-

I have a fish's ice saw and it works great. I also got some tongs to pull the ice block out. If you want to see this stuff in action, post something here after we get some ice, we could meet on White Bear. I'd be happy to let you cut a spear hole for me. laugh

Huey

Get a saw and some tongs. I usually auger four holes and connect them with the saw, then use the tongs to pull the block out. Once the ice is over about 8 inches I auger 6 holes and connect them with the saw removing two blocks with the tongs. The saw is great but it's still work and a power auger is faster than sawing once the ice gets thick. The auger holes make pretty nice corners too so when I move the decoy around the hole the line doesn't get caught and jerk the decoy. As the ice gets thicker you may want to flare out the bottom of the hole with a chisel so you can see farther out to the sides of the hole. One good thing about cutting a hole is that you don't need your heater for almost half and hour because of the sweat you've worked up!

Personally, I hate using an auger. It's messy and leaves an ugly hole. Instead, I always chainsaw a hole out - 30" bar with tricked out blade does an amazing job. Plus a chainsaw is always a good investment - works well for downed trees.

For late in the season thick ice I usually quarter out the chunk, makes for easier removal with tongs.

Oh and make sure you have a really solid bar along! DO NOT BUY A CHEAP ONE! I have one from my great grandfather - old tools were built so much better.

Important Note - always saw holes at a slight inside angle. If you don't you may not be able to remove the ice.

Safety - I hate pushing the chunk under the ice, especially in high traveled area. I always feel placing the chunk back into hole is safer bet for future fishermen and snowmobiles. Just my opinion

Do alot of guys use chainsaws?

I'm not sure, i know resorts renting dark houses often times use chainsaws. I use a Stihl saw which is very reliable.

Another important note for those thinking about using a chainsaw. While traveling, keep it in the cab of the truck to ensure the blade won't freeze up. And also maintain your tools! Always remove the bar and blade when you get home and dry them real good. I also oil them to protect from rust.

Also, how do the hand saws actually work for 24" ice? I've looked at buying one but they seem expensive ($100)? I would imagine its pretty hard work.

ya, your going to have to have a auger

I always cut 5 holes for mine. Two on top, two on bottom, and one in the middle.

That way when you have over 10 inches of ice, you can cut it all in 4 peices, to be able to get it out alot fastier and easier.

I'm assuming I'll still have to drag an auger with me to get a hole started???

You can start the hole with the ice saw.

The blade flexes quite a bit when you are pounding it though the ice. I don't think it hurts it too much but it don't look the best.

For very early ice I would not bring an auger, but as the season goes on if you have an auger I would recommend bringing it.

If you are fishing from the same hole and can't keep it open during the week then the ice saw works great without an auger to reopen the hole every weekend too.

I don't have an auger yet and I start the ice saw by chipping out one hole and work all the way around the 2' X 3' hole. Because of this my ice saw is starting to cup a little bit after one season.

I think it is easier on the saw to use an auger like BNS describes, and then you are cutting straight lines.

FishToys may want to comment too?

I used a chainsaw for years to cut my spear hole, the main thing I found out was to clean the oil off the chain and bar. The water and ice will lube the chain and blade. That oil film on top of the water is hard to see thru.