• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got the new rifle...

Well guys, here are a few pictures of the new rifle. It's a Savage Weather Warrior 116 with a Bushnell Elite 3-9 scope with Rainguard. I broke in the barrel last weekend and got the scope sighted in. Sure shoots nice. Can't wait for November 8th!!!!

DSCF5592-1.jpg

DSCF5594-1.jpg

Nice setup! I too just purchased a new rifle/scope setup so I can feel your excitement. I went with a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 30-06 and Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope. I sighted it in last Sunday in the bitter cold breeze but as soon as I started blasting away my blood began to boil and I could not feel the cold. Good luck hunting this year and BE SAFE!!

fishinmajishin,

I had heard good things about the Savage, and liked the accutrigger feature. I could have purchased a more expensive gun for sure, but I will typically use it two weekends a year seriously. The scope choice for me was a 3-9 no matter what brand. I looked through the Nikon and Bushnell, and liked how I saw things more clearly than the Nikon.

The caliber was a tougher decision. I had a lot of advice here on the forum, and I appreciate it all. I have always hunted with a 30-30, so I knew what that felt like and shot like. I am very fortunate to have a brother that has a wide variety of calibers for me to shoot, and so I did. I liked the .270, and heard, and proved that it shoots flat. See the attached photo to see the guns I shot in one afternoon that helped me make my choice.

DSCF5425-1.jpg

I checked out the Bushnell's a few weeks back, thought they were nice. Have heard good reviews of them. For the money the Savage is a great gun and the 270 is a versatile caliber. The only Savage I own is a 22 Hornet. Awesome shooter super accurate.

You made a good choice I think. Good luck and make sure you take some pics with it and your deer.