• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer taken over

kevfish1

Question

My computer has been taken over by some bad stuff. repeated popups that say my computer is infected. some spyware called "spywarexp 2008" also "brastk.exe" I have tried running antispy ware and also a program i paid 30 bucks for that was suppose to take care of the problem. and you guessed it---- it did not take care of it. spyhunter is the name of the program. It is really nasty and wont let me go to certaain websites. What do i do??? tried a system restore and it wont let me do that

Try the following:

Spybot search and destroy

You can get it at cnet dot com (CNET is a very reputable download site - also offer great reviews on electronics)

You could also try:

Ad-aware or windows defender

You have to be careful if you do google or yahoo searches on any of these. Make sure you download from a reputable site. There are so many fake sites set up to pop up when doing these searches that it could make it worse.

I got infected with some stuff a few years back that kept changing my home page, auto-dialing, etc.

Someone steered me toward a free software called HijackThis. If you search the net for this software you can download it.

BEWARE!

This software will be scanning your registry files for garbage and you must be extremely careful about what you remove. Fortunately their HSOforum has a couple tutorials and help links to help you get through it. Also, the software does create a backup so it is possible to reclaim something you removed.

You can also just use the software to scan your registry files and then send them a log file. They offer to go through it and help out.

If you're not comfortable working with registries you're better off letting them help you.

At any rate, I used it, took my sweet old time, and managed to clean out the infections without getting into trouble.

Edit: I downloaded my copy of HijackThis directly from their HSOforum.

Bob

Try going to majorgeeks.com. I was steered that way from a member who dresses like a geek at a big blue box store. There are a ton of downloads there for trial purposes that may help you w/ your problem.

Follow BobT's advice and get HiJack this as a start - then go here and search for more info using the specific messages you get from the fake spyware..."spywarexp 2008" also "brastk.exe"

I've fixed a number of these for friends and familiy and the Browser hijacks can be brutal to troubleshoot and fix and the worst ones will require some addl utlilities and multiple boots into safe mode, disabling system restore and ltimaely lots of time, etc, etc....hang in there or take it in to some one that does it if your time is worth more than your money. Then, buy and use something like Norton's Internet Security and it will pretty much eliminate these in the future.

I 2nd the hijack this application. That spyhunter is a nasty one. Before you start delete the following folder: c:\windows\prefetch it is a folder where many applications put stuff for quick install and don't worry windows will create it again when you reboot. If you fail to delete that folder it keeps re-installing itself while you are trying to remove the dang thing. This is difficult malware to remove but it can be done, especially if it will take a long time to rebuild your PC.

Also download a little PC cleaner app called ccleaner and run that before you do anything else.

If all else fails copy your files to a CD and do a clean install.

I had that virus(spyware XP 2008)on my laptop last week. It will block you from getting to the registry (where it resides) and block control panel, task manager, most items on the start menu. IT pretends to be a antispyware software. It keeps asking you to scan and then says you have to buy before it will remove the virus. Then it asks for credit card info. It is nasty. Had to reinstall operating system after copying important files to USB drive:(. If you already have a antivirus software that is up to date on it you may get get rid of it without reinstalling everything.

Another good one is Ccleaner. This handy little tool makes the anti spy and anti ad almost obsolite. It has awsome features. It will clean and repair your registry then completely wipe out all of your internet activity, thus making your computer fly. I run a 38gig hard drive and watch blazing fast movies while down loading games and music. Just clean it when you are done. It is still good to have the anti virus and stuff.

I use Registry Repair, Spybot, and AVG(anti virus). I have them set up to run automatically in the middle of the night. Since starting all this my comp. runs much better(and faster). As mentioned the new macbooks came way down in price. Wife just got one, I think next time around I'll make the switch. I hear alot of businesses are switching now due to the ability run more applications

First use Combofix, you can find it plus much more great info. at bleepingcomputer.com. Also download and install malwarebytes then download and install superantispyware, update both and run them.

disable system restore, restart puter and rescan.

Try looking up a HSOforum called "techguy", It's a dot org type. I have used them before. If you register you can post your problem and the mods there will help you track down and fix the problem. They can review your "Hijackthis" log and tell you what toi do without mucking things up. They have helped me several times in the past.

It is amazing that someone can't find a way to close the door on that stuff.

I will say that the best way to avoid these nasties is to never download a needed plug in or device driver from the site the recommends it. If you really need it find it elsewhere on the web. And make sure you close the window that pops up, don't click no or click anywhere in the window. You really have no way of knowing what that pop window is programmed to do. Click the X to get out, right click on the item on the task bar or use the alt+F4 hot key combo to close it. If you can't close it by those ways whack ctrl+alt+del and close it that way.

When you have a real nasty infection like that, you have to go to someplace (I like MajorGeeks) and follow ALL the instructions STEP BY STEP to the letter. Skip one step and all your effort could go down the tubes.

Doing a "poke and hope" type of clean up just won't cut it when you get one or more of the real bad guys.

Depending on how much stuff you have on your computer to try to save/rescue, and whether or not you have all the reinstall disks, doing a clean (re)install can be easier and faster.

Depending on how much stuff you have on your computer to try to save/rescue, and whether or not you have all the reinstall disks, doing a clean (re)install can be easier and faster.

I've had to do this a couple of times, and it is faster for the most part. I just make sure to keep regular back-ups so that if I have to wipe it clean and start over it's not a big deal. The only thing that takes time once the OS is reinstalled is running through all of the updates...

well i ended up doing a complete re-install. It took me all day but it is a new computer again. I just could not shake the virus

It's painful, but in most cases, the best solution.

I am working on one of our users PCs that got infected with a similar bug. Virus Response Labs 2009. If you see something like that stay away from that one too. One of my neighbors got whacked too.

Question for you upnorth. Being an IT guy, maybe you're insight would be good.

How valuable is it to pick up a second hard drive to use as a backup for the entire system? I've been considering getting one and using it periodically when I'm confident that I don't have any viruses on board.

For example, my system has a 140G hard drive and it looks like I could get one for $100 or less. I would also think it would be wise not to have it connected unless you're backing up to it.

I imagine it could be a lifesaver should one ever get a serious infection. I know that if I did a system reboot now, I'd lose a year's worth of updates, service patches, and what have you.

Bob

Bob the extra hard drive is a great idea but it sounds like you also want to make a exact copy of your hard drive the way it is today. You will need some type of disk imaging software like Norton Ghost to get a copy to include your operating system. I have 2 spare hard drives that connect with a USB cable and it helps to speed up the process and you can also share pictures and music with friends.If you want to put in a extra drive in your computer you will need to find out if you need a IDE or a SATA drive. If your computer is a little older it will more then likely be a IDE.

So, it's a little more complicated than I thought but not impossible. I've heard of ghost images and such. Maybe I'll look into it.

My thought would be that should I ever pick up a nasty virus I could install my backup hard drive, run the computer, and use the backup to reformat the other hard drive.

I've even heard of guys buying a second hard drive and just removing the one, installing the other, and then reformatting the first one.

You're right. My plan would include being able to back up the operating system and all.

Bob