• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do blinds spook non-res deer?

So lets say you have a ground blind up and a cruising buck comes through the area. We'll assume he either has never been in that area before or not very often and for sure not since you've set the blind up. Lets also say its set up reasonably well - not out in the middle of a field by itself but with some cover and even brushed in a bit. Anyone have any experience with such a situation? Granted its tough to know for sure if that buck has or has not seen the blind before. Maybe those who have set a ground blind up and either hunted it immediately or shortly after moving or setting it up. One other aspect, the blind isn't necessarily setup on a major trail - so what are the odds of calling/decoying a deer into range of a blind if they haven't seen the blind before or are unfamiliar with the area.

Guess what I'm after is if people have had luck or not calling/decoying bucks in field edge situations during the pre-rut/rut or if you're just drawing unwanted attention to the blind and ruining a setup. Thanks, later.

I have set up a ground blind and had deer within 20 yards on the same day. I think a buck that is cruising for does or looking for a fight will be prety accepting of a well placed and brushed in blind. Just make sure the blind is as odor free as posible and set up so the deer can't see through it. Decoys work well this time of year, a bedded doe decoy or standing one that can be seen from a trail or travel area can pull a buck in for a look. If deer are using a field and the combines have started working in the area the deer get used to seeing rapid change in the fields so the blinds on fencelines and near rock piles don't seem to spook them much even if they know the area. However in wooded areas near fields that doesn't hold true, if you put up a blind on trails leading to a field it takes a while before the deer go near it. Even bucks that are cruising seem to follow what the locals are doing and they usually seem to follow the does around a new blind.

I'm not an expert and don't have a ton of field experience with this matter, but... If a buck is cruising into unfamiliar territory, I would say his guard is down already. He is more worried about finding some tail then a blind here or a clump of brush there. Now, if he catches wind of you, he'll quickly seek out anything that looks odd and if a clump of stuff on the ground looks odd, then you might be busted. Like was mentioned, try to keep it a distance away from a good trail or where deer are entering the field. I'm anxious to here others experiences in this matter. Good luck.

Do it. As previously stated if it's brushed in really well and doesn't catch their eye or seem unnatural it holds potential for success. Scent elimination rules apply 2x. If the wind forecast holds throughout the weekend I also will be hunting from a blind in WI but very near a funnel between two thick bedding areas. Hunting pressure and daily recreation from the neighboring properties discourages daylight activity on my property in open areas/fields. Good luck.

any deer can be spooked by a blind but if the blind is brushed in for a decent amount of time you will be ok. If a deer comes out that is unfamiliar to the territory usually there will be other deer in the field. as we all know deer are keen on eachothers movements and if the new deer sees the other deer are safe in the field/woods so will he.