• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moultrie 4.0?

jerkbait

I posted this in the expert info forum also, but here it goes.

I have 3 Moultrie game spy 4.0 trail cams. 1 of them started 2 weeks ago not saving to the SD card. New batteries were put in and a different SD card was put in and last Friday when I switched the card the camera showed 4 events but once again the memory card is blank with no pictures. Anyone else had this issue? Is this something that the camera will have to be sent in to be fixed?

Thanks,

not sure if it is the fix, but the memory of the camera has to be deleted before it will save to the card. delete all if any pics from the cameras memory, then shut the camera off. put the memory card in and turn it back on. should solve it.

I was going to say that. Make sure the camera is off when you put the SD card in and then turn it on. I would also check to see if your SD card is formated for something other than that camera. I had someone in our group that could not view the pictures on his personal camera because it was not formated correctly for his kodak camera. Could be another issue.

I have the same model and sometimes it just amazes me with random problems similar to yours. I understand how to use it but it just gets goofy every now and then. I guess you get what you pay for. I'm still generally happy with it...it just isn't as reliable as other more expensive products.

HA I checked a cam tonight and had a 1G card full of heat/wind triggered pics from Sunday and Monday. A good amount of deer pics prior though. I was in such a hurry to get that thing set up and get out that I didn't take my normal precautions and paid for it by sorting through a few hundred images of nothing.

It all depends on the image quality, video/still, delay/shutter sequence, and temp. If you're not taking video and aren't getting a ton of false triggers and just deer/game the batteries should last a month-ish. I like to change mine when they get down to 50% because the cam seems to get kinda funky on low battery.

I have 3 of them as well. Two of them always get the date and time stamp wrong but that of little issue for me. They are sensitive though, if you set them up in direct sunlight, prepare for a full card. I always try to point mine N and S and have no problems with false triggers. Battery life for me has been over a month with several hundred pics at the highest resolution. Be sure to get good batteries though. Rayovac last the least for my and Duracell the longest. For the money, this by far is the best bang for the buck on the market.

What are you guys doing that your only getting a month out of batteries? I put my cams out on August 19th and the lowest battery % that i have right now was at 74% last week. Ive had that one on video for 3 weeks now, its lower than the rest which are reading right around 80% batt life. The lowest one has also taken at least 3000-4000 pics, its averaged around 300 a week since i set it up.

Ohh ya, i also have it on the highest resolution, the fastest time between triggers, 3 shot bursts....

Duracell D batteries..

yeah really, battery life a month? mine has been out since memorial day weekend on the SAME 6 batteries, taken over 2000 pics, and still has 73% battery life, granted it is IR.

oh yeah, Duracell Procell, the kind hospitals use

this is an interesting topic. The last two mornings when I went to do chores I noticed the cat food pan moved around. There is a step-down area into the barn and this morning I noticed the pan close to the step and saw that there is a burrow under step. I thought a bout a spy-cam deal but after reading this this could be the way to go. I could go look at em but there is so much expertise on here I thought I'd ask the experienced guys. How do they work?, by motion?...I suppose they'd work in a dark barn. What brand names? and price ranges? I guess I could use it somewhere else too. I'm hopin it's just another coon and not a skunk. I don't wanna use traps, I'd rather ID it and lay for it.

cameras with good trigger speeds cost a bit more, 200 plus. they are motion activated, but if you would like to just check on the critter, then a cheaper one isn't a bad idea. however, you'll learn to love it, want to use it elsewhere for other things, so i'd get a nice one. the pics will be better to, and you can get video with a nicer one too! moultries are fairly new, and they work great. models from 100 bucks on up. simple to operate as well.

IR, or infrared, doesn't produce a bright flash at night, so it doesn't spook anything. highly recommend IR, but then again, pricier.

Definetly go digital, not 35 mm, unless having to develop photos at an hour photo place doesn't bother you. the memory cards work in most digital cameras, just find one that accepts the same card as your digital camera, if you have one. then just take the card out of the game camera, stick it in your handheld, and check out the pics.

I have a Moultrie Outfitter 5.0 megapixel IR. takes terriffic pics, day and night, VERY battery friendly . was 229 bucks, so not bad at all. I also have a stealthcam 1.7 megapixel. pics are a bit more blurry, but still decent. not so battery friendly, but works better with 12 volt attatchmet. this camera was 150 bucks. definetely spend the extra 80 bucks if these are 2 options.

You'll have fun with one if you do get one.