• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Camp Favorites

Our menu is still is not set but on Saturday night we will have stroganoff

Venison Stroganoff

2 pounds boneless venison loin or steak

1/4 cup butter

1 can (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms drained ( I add more cause I love mushrooms)

2 cans (10 1/2 oz each) condensed beef broth ( I have always used Campbells beef consomme)

1/3 cup dry minced onion

1/4 cup catsup

1 1/2 tea. garlic salt

1/3 cup flour

2 cup sour cream

Cut meat across the grain into 3/4" slices. then into strips 3 x 1/4". Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet. Cook and stir mushrooms in butter about 5 min.; Remove mushrooms. In the same skillet brown meat. reserving 2/3 cup broth, stir in remaining broth, onion, catsup and garlic salt. Cover and simmer 15 min.. Blend reserved broth and flour; stir into meat. Add mushrooms, heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 min, stir in sour cream; heat through. I like to serve it over noodles like a rotini so that the sauce stick to the noodles ( The corkscrew type)

Sunday I will put some smoked porkbutt in the crock pot and let it cook on low. Then we will shred it up and add some vinegar and red pepper flakes and put on a kaiser roll with some homemade Cole slaw on top.

I smoke the pork for 5 to 6 hours a couple of days ahead of time so all I have to do in the morning is add about a 1/2 cup of water and set on low and head out for the hunt. I also make the slaw the night before just because it seems to taste better.The last time I made this I used Thirdeyes recipe and everybody really loved this on there sandwich.

KFC Style Slaw

8 cups very finely chopped cabbage

1/4 cup shredded carrot

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup buttermilk

1-1/2 tbsp. white vinegar

2-1/2 tbsp. lemon juice

Directions:

Be sure that the cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces, about the size of rice kernels. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice and beat until smooth. Add the cabbage and carrots. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Monday night will be fresh veni steaks on the grill with a potatoe bomb. Chopped up taters with onions and butter,salt,pepper all wrapped up in tin foil.Cook for around a hour and top with some Top the Tater.

spareribs and sourkraute is our traditional sat. night meal. the elders in our camp have been doing this since the 60's. this is my first year providing the homemade kraute. fri. is t-bone steak night. sunday is a 14# prime rib. there is eight of us and we never have leftovers. mon. is usally goose breast night. we've also had chicken,cabbage rolls, salmon steaks. when u could get red lake crappies we had them one year. camp food is the best there is hope u got some ideas.

we won a deer camp food contest one year with the ribs and kraute. "BIG D'S SWAMPBUSTING SOURKRAUTE" Duluth news early 90's

One night was always put aside for;

Heart stoppers

1 lb bacon(I like Wicks bavarian or peppered)

2 lbs. ground meat

1 large onion

1 package fresh mushroom(morel or baby bella)

1 small package blue cheese or cheese of choice

minced garlic to taste

I prefer elk but venison or burger works[season or not]

cut 1 lb bacon in 1-2 in chunks and fry to desired crispiness

set aside on foil or in a coasting pan

drain off 3/4 of the grease[ save some]

chop onion

chop morel or baby portabella

Fry these two in bacon grease set aside with bacon.

Form meat patties and yes once again fry in bacon grease.

You can grill meat but at this point,whats the use?

Add garlic, bacon, onions and mushrooms once you flip the burgers.

Place meat on a grilled bun or roll,pile high with the fixens crumble a little blue cheese or cheese of choice.

Place "Nitro tabs" on table and enjoy.

We also are going with steaks.. Probably T-bones.

Did goose breasts for grouse camp. They turned out nice. I marinaded them in EVOO, Red Wine Vinegar, Garlic, and a splash of Terryaki for almost 24hrs. I pounded them really thin rolling cheese, onion, garlic, and bacon inside...wrapped the outside with MORE BACON. Cooked medium to medium well. Best goose breast I ever had.

Our lunches and breakfasts mostly consist of sandwiches, toast, rolls, oatmeal etc...We will have a pot of some of the best chili ever created smile.

After careful consideration we came up with the following menu for our dinners and Monday's brunch.

Friday night:

Pork Roast with gravy, baby red potatoes and carrots.

Saturday night:

Spaghetti with Garlic toast

Sunday night:

Steaks, Baked potatoes (all the fixens), and steamed broccoli

Monday Brunch:

Venison tenderloins cooked as chicken fried steak with sausage gravy, biscuits, and eggs.

Monday night:

Beer bathed bratwurst with all the fixens

Tuesday night:

Dinner on the way home

Stroganoff was on the short list, but got bumped in favor of T-bones smile...I will do that at some point. Thanks for the recipe.

When we make it in the crockpot I add the sour cream right before it is to be served. It make some of the most tender venison you will ever eat.

Our lunches and breakfasts mostly consist of sandwiches, toast, rolls, oatmeal etc...We will have a pot of some of the best chili ever created smile.

After careful consideration we came up with the following menu for our dinners and Monday's brunch.

Friday night:

Pork Roast with gravy, baby red potatoes and carrots.

Saturday night:

Spaghetti with Garlic toast

Sunday night:

Steaks, Baked potatoes (all the fixens), and steamed broccoli

Monday Brunch:

Venison tenderloins cooked as chicken fried steak with sausage gravy, biscuits, and eggs.

Monday night:

Beer bathed bratwurst with all the fixens

Tuesday night:

Dinner on the way home

I hear ya on the chilli!!! wink

Beer battered brats? This sounds really good, how do you make them?

Quote:
What is a sarma?

Sarmas are a traditional Iron Range, old-country, Croatian dish. Cabbage rolls are the closest thing that I can think of. My mom makes the best sarmas. I think she uses ground pork, ground beef, rice and her own secrets for the filling. Everybody's family has their own version of it. Some swear they should be with a tomato-based sauce while others say it's with sauerkraut. My great-grandmother, grandmother and mother made sarmas with sauerkraut...NO TOMATO! grin

we are doing homemade spagetti one nite but for sure its tradition venision neck roast and tators. last years deer, take the necks add water onions lipton dry suop mix bake till meat comes off the bone. at camp put back in roaster heat ad a bit of water make gravy put over taders. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

still not sure, our camp cook hasn't disclosed the full menu, but usually,

Breakfast's are on our own

Friday night lasagna or grouse with wild rice

Saturday night: prime rib roast

Sunday night: leftovers

Monday night: fresh venison tenderloins on the grill

Tuesday night: snacks as we make jerky and start grinding

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich
Quote:
Beer battered brats? This sounds really good, how do you make them?

Beer BATHED, not battered...

DOH!!! Well, they DID sound good. Sounds like time to experiment.

I have deep-fried brats before while cooking fish. Very good.