• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storage Shed......

joe_stack20

I am in need of a storage shed for my lawn mower, snow-blower, miscellaneous storage. Got a price for a constructed shed...$1250.00. I am not the handiest of all people but am thinking about maybe constructing one of my own. I am not a big fan of the metal storage sheds...but more interested in wood. Guess my question is how easy would a 8 x 10 shed be to construct...I am not really worried about the framing of the floor or walls...more about the roof and door. And what do you think it would cost if i decided to tackle this on my own?

Any help/suggestions would be great thank you.

I think it would be easy to do, relatively speaking. I built a 4x6 outhouse that had a nice screen door, 3 sliding windows, electric, inside beadboard, a handrail, indoor/outdoor carpet AND using an RV toilet ($130) and the whole thing cost me under $500. That was using treated 2x6 for floor frame, and it is beefy wink

I bet you could do basic a 8x12 for under $500 total, not inlcuding a fancy roll door, or anything like that. Just a non-construction guy's guess, though. Go for it, it will be fun too smile

With materials up you will be over $1000. Helped build one for a friend last year. With free roofing and siding materials, he was over $600 already. His was 10x12 though. It adds up faster than you think.

Yeah, I guess I had roofing leftover from garage, and I didn't side it, only used that 4x8 with the primed outside, and half the size. After my lumber bill from the cabin construction being higher than the estimate, I should know better smile I did mine 3 years ago too...

Built this 9x12 last year and have about a 1000 into it. The window is fake, but its trimmed out in cedar so it was a bit more. If you can get a nice one for 1250 delivered, unless you have more time than money, It sounds like its a good deal.

DSC01473.jpg

Nice looking shed Mac. The lawn nice too.

Joe, Without knowing the materials list I can't say if its a good deal or not. There are sheds and then there are sheds.

If your happy with the one you picked out and if you can't duplicate is as far as craftsmanship then buy it.

Unless the shed is outrageously priced you'll be saving around a third of the price by making the same shed yourself. Of coarse what took the shed guy to build in a day will take you 3 weekends. This might be a trying time on your relationship too.

You can buy it then lie and say your built it. Your friends will want to to help build their shed, they'll even supply the beer and food. You get that hands on experience without suffering the ugly consequences.

Menards has a computer that lets you choose exactly what features you want and then prints out a list of what you need and the cost. It's free. I checked out one last spring and it was about $1,450 for a 10 x 12. I'm sure prices have changed, but it's a pretty slick deal. Whether the offer is a good one depends a lot on the materials being used. For example if the floor area isn't treated and the building is only painted chip board then maybe it isn't. Get the list of what they build it out of and then you'll find out. Sounds like it could be on the cheap side (quality wise) based on what I've seen.

I built a back yard shed at our old house...about 5 or 6 years ago. It was one of those kits that I bought at Home Depot or some other home improvement store. I dont remember what I paid for it, but I am pretty sure it was under 1k. It took me two weekends to finish and I was pretty happy with the results. I am by no means handy with tools....so If I could do it, anyone could do it.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably invest in a concrete floor...the kit came with a treated wood floor that worked just fine but I always thought concrete would have been better....and I probably would have tried to run power to it. In the long run, it was used just to store the mower, blower and misc items. The neighbors that I was building a doll house.....

180717stsouth006.jpg