• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EZ Propane filler

fishinJohn

I saw an item on Cabela's that allows you to refill 1 lb propane tanks with a bulk tank. Anyone here use it? It seemed to have a lot of good reviews. I never use my heater because hauling the 20 lb tank is a chore. What would be better, refilling 1 lbers or buying a five pound tank?

From what I’ve read and heard, yes they will work.

However, it is difficult to get a complete fill on the 1lb, they tend to leak, and you can only reuse them a finite number of times.

To trump all that, it is illegal to transport refilled disposable containers.

Do the math, it’s not worth the trouble and possible deadly consequences.

There will be guys saying that it’s fine though.

5 or 10lb tank is probably a better avenue.

If the financial benefits were drastic, I'd look more into it, but it really isn't a big savings.

you are going to get some emotional responses to that question. I have one and have used it for a while now. is it 100% safe, NO, if done properly you would be fine. that said, accidents happen and accidents with 20 lbs of compressed LP don't usually turn out very well. Like I said, I have one and have used it and have had no issues. As stated you won't get them much over 75% full, but that isn't a big issue. I've never had one leak either. Even after all that, since I've had kids, I'm now back to buying my 1 pounders!! you need to weigh the risk/benefit and decide if it's worth it. the device itself paid for itself in a winter. but you need to decide if it's worth it to you. at this point in my life, it's no longer worth it. you need to look at you situation, I'd recommend not going that route. IMHO

Personally, I have used the refill adapters this past year and have been pretty happy. If the 1# tanks leak, you would smell it. As a precaution, I don't store them in the house. Also, I don't reuse tanks from the privious season, only the ones bought during the current season.

Even if it leaked, a 75% 1# tank should be minimal risk - I don't believe you need to worry about the tank integrity when in use attached to your heater/lantern. I think the biggest issue is the nozzel staying air tight as it gets older/used, causing gas to leak out when not is use.

When refilling, I find it works best to bring the 20# in the house so it gets to room temp, and put the 1# outside until it gets cold - then do the refill. Only takes a couple minutes to do the fill. Then when storing them I always keep the plastic cap on. Usually don't keep any more than a couple refilled tanks on hand at a time.

From the lable of a 1 lb cylinder:

"Never refill this cylinder, refilling may cause explosion.

Federal law forbids transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000.00 and 5 years imprisonment (49 u.s.c. 5124)"

I usualy stock up on the 4 packs when Fleet Farm, Menards or Home Depot have them on sale for 8 to 9 dollars. At $2.00 to $2.25 a bottle it doesn't seem worth the risk.

I know there are a lot of people that do this - anyone ever hear of one exploding as a result? If the risk was that big, why would the be sold at many retail stores?

IMO, I would think the "explosion" concerns would be if you were forcing gas into it and possibly over filling it thus creating too much internal pressure possibly causing it to explode.

But this device uses only the pressure difference between the 20# & 1# to draw the gas into the 1#. So there is know way you could cause this type of issue. I can't see how that would risk an explosion.

I guess I'll have to stay away from transporting the refilled ones so I don't get fined/imprisoned ... not sure how the would ever prove it anyways wink

I can't remember what I paid for gas last year, but propane is usually around $1 a pound when filling bulk. So I find it hard to swallow paying $2-2.25 for a 1-pound cylinder. Half the price is for a bottle.

Save your money, buy a 5lb'r or an 11lb'r. You can get them in talls or the 11lb pancake tank. It works great, lasts longer and fewer problems. I don't fish as much as some, but my 11lb tank lasts a full season each year. That means it lasts as long as at least a dozen of your 3/4 full 1lb bottles and doesn't require any time to fill those dozen bottles.

Most heaters have an adapter for bulk tanks so unless you're using it for a lantern it seems like a waste of time more than anything.

I like the idea of the 5/11# tanks, but they are typically pretty spendy (~$50). Biggest problem I have is they add a lot of weight & bulk if I am dragging my protable around by hand. It really helps to keep things as light as possible. If I am lucky enough to hook up with someone that can pull it behind a sled/4wheeler - I worry about those bigger tanks bouncing around with the rest of the gear and breaking something.

I also use my lanterns which require the 1# tanks, so even when I hook by big buddy to the 20#er, I still need them to run my lantern.

I made the mistake one year of refilling a one pounder and getting it too full. I use them on a mr heater jr. Well, everything was fine for a few minutes. Then the temp rose in the porty. So did the temp. of that cylinder. This cause the pressure to go up as well. Soon I had flames shooting out of the heater. I didn't get hurt and nothing else caught on fire. I pushed the heater into the hole to put it out. I know a guy who has a two pound scale he uses for weighing them. He told me an empty weighs 1 pound so he fills them until they weigh 2 pounds. Incidently I've never had them leak when refilled.

Well, it involved being younger and alot dumber. I made the transfer in the garage where it was 70 degrees. The empty one pounder would go in the freezer for 10-15 min. Then make the transfer. That's where this whole business should have stopped. But no! More is better! Let's repeat a couple times and get that sucker really full so we don't have to change tanks so often! Yeah! Great idea! Yeah, well, not such a great idea. Took me a while after that to understand the physics. The warming LP had no place to expand. So, I survived and I still use that heater yet today, but with new 1 pounders. I may go back to refilling them now since I'm 15 years older now and probably about 5 years smarter.

I like the idea of the 5/11# tanks, but they are typically pretty spendy (~$50). Biggest problem I have is they add a lot of weight & bulk if I am dragging my portable around by hand. I worry about those bigger tanks bouncing around with the rest of the gear and breaking something.

1. $50 dollars = 25 1lb'ers

2. 20 to 25 pounds of weight with a full pancake.

3. Bungee cord! If you read the side of the tank there supposed to be secured in the upright position at all times (not that anybody does that).

An 11lb pancake is has low center of gravity and doesn't fall over. I've had mine towed all over lakes without ever having a problem. I'd be more worried about 1lb'rs bouncing around than an 11lb tank.

I figure I paid ~$50 once for the tank. I never have to buy 1lb'rs again. I see that you do use them for the lantern so that makes it difficult. I don't use a lantern anymore, i just wear a headlamp. It doens't take up room on the floor or in the air in the portable. You already drag around a 20lb'r for your heater so why worry about the weight of the tank You can buy a multi adapter and run many things off of one tank. My dad brings a lantern tree for a 20lb tank and we run the heater, lantern and a stove on the one tank.

Quote:
My dad brings a lantern tree for a 20lb tank and we run the heater, lantern and a stove on the one tank.

That's the way I run as well......lantern tree and two heaters on a 20 lb. tank. It's not really that much extra weight all things considered and it sure beats the hastle of changing 1 lb. tanks when they run out.