Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neptune

South Carolina???

11 posts in this topic

Anyone fished in South Carolina? I am interviewing with a company down there for a new job and I know there is supposed to be good bass fishing but I haven't talked with any locals yet and I can't find any forum site for South Carolina that is 1/4 as good and as informative as this one is for MN.

South Carolina has some great fishing! I used to work with a distributer down there who would fish the tiny man made lakes for crappies. He had pictures of many fish over 3 lbs. He was in the NW part of the state, out of Greenville.

3# Crappies!

Neptune, good luck with the job interview. IF you get it and move down there, you'll have to post some picks of some of the hogs Hydro mentions.

I wish I still had the video of those fish. My friend's last name is Murdock, and he would usually take someone fishing with him. The partner would have to sit in the front of the boat and video tape the action in the back. On one trip his dad went with and they had a fish that was as long as daddy Murdock's forearm and had a mouth that they fit a cigarette pack into. That was one big crappie. And by the way they caught it on a little dammed up valley about 50 acres and only 11' deep at the dam.

I guess they don't have to worry about winter kill/freeze outs down there.

I doubt you'll need that boat in your avatar for those lakes grin

Santee Copper, Murray and a host of other prime lakes. No pike or walleyes to speak of but you can take up striped bass fishing which is more than a fair tradeoff. And the pannies get huge down there.

My brother lives in the Greenville area and while down there this summer we caught some nice crappies out of a tiny man made pond. We didn't catch any monsters but my brother said they caught one that was near 3 pds. I didn't see pics of the fish and thought it was doubtful but looking at the other posts maybe quite possible.

I can promise you, there are some BIG crappies in those little ponds down south. My uncle has a farm in Arkansas and has a few ponds with fish in them, the day my grandfather died two and a half years ago he lost a pond due to oxygen depletion that had crappies in it. The average crappie in that pond was 16" long, they just got too big eating all the shiners in there. There were some that were in the 3.5 - 4 lb range. When it only takes 8 or 9 to fill a 5 gallon bucket, you know they are big.

Right now he has a pond that is full of bullgills and bass. There are several 12-14" gills in that pond and a couple bass over 15 lbs. I saw one the last time I was down there and could do nothing but shake for about 10 minutes after I saw her. Only problem with that particular pond is it is next to impossible to fish, very few spots to land a bait.

Drew I fished a BASS event there a few years back on Lake Norman, There is a l;ot of bass down there, but nothing like the fishing in MN>

One piece of Advice I can give you is that if you land that position you will have access to 100's of pro staffers that will be able to get you out fishing.

Let me know how it goes,

JJ

The interviews went well but now I am just waiting and wondering. I'll let you know if I hear something swampbuck.