• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water slapping problem

Just wondering if anyone else has trouble killing ducks sitting on the water or if you shot at a wounded one on the water. This weekend the old man and I was out and I dropped a green head,but he did not die. So we shot a few times at him on the water, but could not fase him. It was in easy killing range and we could see the bb pattern hit all around him he would just kind of shake it of and continue to swim away. Has this happend to anyone else or was this just one of those steel featherd one's?

Aim about 2 feet short of the bird. I don't know why it works but I know it works a lot better than just aiming at the head. So far aiming short of the bird has worked really well for me. Had an old ducker give me this tip.

I've ahd that happen multiple times this season with ring necks and a few mallards that have dove on me after shooting them once or twice on the water i think its just shot is pretty light and you have to hit them right in the head to do the trick.

Killing a wounded bird on the water is always difficult. I have a box of 6 shot with and throw them in for a cripple, you get twice as many pellets thus greatly increasing your odds of hitting the head/neck.

A duck on the water is a tough shot, and a cripple on the water can be very, very frustrating, especially divers.

I try to take their head off when they are diving and popping up. Seams like a shot into the water just short of the bird always misses. You can see the pattern hit all around the bird yet they continue to swim.

I have a box of 6 shot with and throw them in for a cripple, you get twice as many pellets thus greatly increasing your odds of hitting the head/neck.

If you've never used 6 shot steel on cripples, I would highly recommend it also. Much better results than 2 shot.

Originally Posted By: Tippman
I have a box of 6 shot with and throw them in for a cripple, you get twice as many pellets thus greatly increasing your odds of hitting the head/neck.

If you've never used 6 shot steel on cripples, I would highly recommend it also. Much better results than 2 shot.

Another vote for the 6's. Pick up some Xpert or other cheap 6's. It's cheaper and works way better than bigger shot on cripples. I even shot a wounded goose with them this year. Was just like turkey huntin with the patternmaster in there. grin