• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's afraid of the big bad . . .

My trip won't be atleast til next fall. Enough about that, this is YOUR thread!

Steve, if you or anybody else knew where to consistantly find Wolves.... Man I'd be in a car so fast! I've thought about some of the DNR's dead deer drop locations in the wintertime... but have not tried that route. I like the way it happened to you guys, just strolling along and SURPRISE!!!

Thanks again, folks! smilesmile

Steve, if you or anybody else knew where to consistantly find Wolves.... Man I'd be in a car so fast!

I'll tell you, Mike, that in nearly six years of working hard to get close to wolves, it's only happened three times now. Well, I've been close to them a number of times, like maybe 20, but only three times yielded photographs. Oh, by the way, you've got mail! smilesmile

Steve you really have a nack of being in the right place at the right time to capture such great shots. I have a feeling the wife will be talking to you soon grin

Hmmmmmm. smilesmile

Probably not to order wolf prints, since as I recall she nabbed the black wolf matted and framed at the silent auction at last winter's Burntside Bash.

Just a few notes for all potential photographers out there. Some things I've thought about that allowed Steve to get some great shots, and me to miss an opportunity for the same. Before I begin, it was a GREAT experience. I've seen a few wolves over the years living up here, but only like this a couple of times. Having someone along to share that with and also document with some great photos only made it better. First, the things I did right. The camera was in my lap ready to go, and I thought with the correct (or at least close)settings. What I did wrong. Did not have the monopod on the camera. Had IS available on the lens and did not have it on. Came to the end of my card, and didn't have another in my pocket - it was in my bag in the back of the Blazer. With the time that we had, should have used some other settings as back up (all mine were taken at 3200 ISO and 6400, should have tried a few at 1600). Lastly, I had my 100-400L 5.6 on the camera. In good light this lens can be fantastic. It was really dark and I should have had my 70-200L 2.8 on. I've done some more experimenting today, and I think it really would have made a difference. Though not as much reach, the extra stops at 2.8 would have given me more shutter speed. Ah, well, easy to be an armchair quarterback. All things that go into the learning curve and hopefully I'll be smart enough to not let that happen again! Congrats, Steve. I may have to buy one of those prints myself!

Ken, you know what they say about hindsight. wink I can certainly understand most of those things happening. Did you just have your camera on a tripod? I never use a tripod and therefore my IS is never turned off. That's the only factor I don't understand. As far as the lens goes, just how in the world do you know what is going to show up at the last minute? Also, I assume since it was getting to the end of the day, you probably weren't concerned about the card getting full. This was a freak happening and luck just wasn't on your side - this time.

Nice Pics! I wish I would have had my camera on my lap today. Was out grouse hunting up the echo and saw a buetiful wolf on my drive home. He/She was a lot more fearful than yours. As soon as I stopped my truck it was long gone into the woods. I am glad I always see them when I'm driving instead of walking eek(more scared for my pup than myself though). Second one ive seen on the road this year, the first one was radio collared. Anyways great story and the pics turned out great!

Blake