• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 Grizzly 660

Carpenter

I recently inherited a 660 Grizzly. I can't tell if the cooling fan runs or if the overheating light works. Are there any tests I can do?

I was cleaning off the wheeler and fixing it up this weekend. I put some stabil in the gas and letting it idle. after a few minutes i noticed the radiator steaming but the fan wasn't running and the light wasn't on. The radiator was hot to the touch. not turn your hand yellow, burnt skin hot, but i couldn't keep it there for more than a second. The coolant level in the reservoir is fine. I could take the machine out and run it for a while to see if the fan turns on, but i'm scared that the fan might not be working, same with the light and i'll have a locked up motor. Anyone have any pointers? the dealer is my next move, but their pricing is outrageous.

Thanks,

Mike

I know the fan on my polaris sticks if i hit the mud hard. if i ever see the "hot" light blinking, i check the fan and give it a spin to get it going. it's typically only been stuck from the mud. the griz's is free to move. I traced the wires of the fan and of the temp plug (i think) as far as i can, and they look fine. i'm wondering if there is a way to check the temp plug/switch.

I have a 05 660 that I know inside out so I might be able to help you out! The temp sensor that turns on the fan is on the left lower rear of the radiator. If you look through the wheelwell you should be able to see it. Unplug that and jump the wires in the plug with the key on and the fan should come on. If it doesnt check the circuit breaker under the seat under all the relays. It looks like a small clear plastic bag with black cloth in it with two wires coming out of it, one is yellow and the other is black if I remember right. The temp light sensor is on the top of the engine. You will have to take off the gas tank to get at it. I only has one wire coming off of it. If you unplug the wire the light should come on and if you ground it it should go off. Check that out and let us know what you find.

I called the service guys today and they said the temp light and the fan switch were at different locations, which made me feel better. The fan switch is on the radiator, the light is on the head. Then I read Dozer's message and gave it a try. I found the wire for the light. I was able to remove the panel by the fuel reserve switch and see the wire. There is actually a quick connect right under that panel so I unhooked it and the light came on. So i figure that must be working. next i tried to unhook the fan plug, but it's one of those wiring harnesses that you must have to press somewhere to get it off. i'm trying, but i'm sure i won't figure it out until it's broke and in my hand! then it will all make sense. if you know how to take that off Dozer, let me know. as for right now, i'm off to change the gear oil. i've already changed break pads, replaced a torn cv boot, bled the brakes (need to do it again as the fronts need pumping), changed the oil, cleaned it. it'll be trust worthy when i'm done with it. might not be my polaris, but it'll be as close as it gets smile

thanks for the help guys.

Mike

I have an 03 660 and have had the rt rear axel pull out and there is no power to it. It only comes out about 1/2 inch so I can still drive it. Is this an inherent problem???

Yes. I'm guessing there's a circlip that maybe broke allowing your axle to float. Very possibly caused by overloading the rear suspension. If you allow this happen for too long, you can damage the splines on the spindle coming out of your differential. Then it will get expensive.

I have an 03 660 and have had the rt rear axel pull out and there is no power to it. It only comes out about 1/2 inch so I can still drive it. Is this an inherent problem???

That is a pretty common problem on these, its never happend on mine but a buddy had the same problem as you. I would get it fixed ASAP becasue you will get dirt in your differential oil and then you will have big problems! It should just push back in, sometimes they stay in sometimes they dont. You can pull it out and bend the clip out so it "clips" in harder. There are aftermarket ones that hold better made by Gorrilla. Ive never seen them but Ive read they work really well. I would just pop it back in and change your differential fluid and hope for the best. If it comes out again you will have to dig into it deeper.