Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert1965

wind power for your hut

4 posts in this topic

most of the time im on lake of the woods and its almost allways windy, the turbines I was looking at supplied 400 watts. depending on the wind speed, you could charge all your stuff and have power to spare, kinda pricey but cool.

actually cheaper than a quality generator. and way greener, add a couple of solar panels for wind down time, could be on to something here.

I'm getting my drop down setup with a turbine. I have a 100w turbine and a charge controller. The stickler with wind turbines is that they are constantly producing power when the wind is blowing. The charge controller keeps the flow regulated for the battery, when the battery is charged the flow is then diverted to a load. This is the tricky part, you need something capable of handling the full amperage and watts that the turbine is capable of producing. Most home installs divert the load to a 12v water heating element added to the water heater. I found a 350w infrared 12v heater that I will use. What ever you decided it has to always be available to use up excess power. My project is costing a lot more than expected. I now have a two battery system with a battery selector, battery isolator, I need fuses, a fuse bank, a negative bank, 8 gauge wire, circuit breakers for each battery, switches, ect... Marine 12v hardware isn't cheap $$$

i think i will just take my battery with me each time and chage it over night