• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

870 express combo

hey, i have been looking for a new shotgun for this season, i would use it for deer, waterfowl, and upland game hunting. i like the 870 express combo, does anyone have any experiance with this? also i have heard mixed reviews on the red dot scope, and thats what i was thinking of mounting on it... and thoughts on this?

thanks,

James

I still use my 870 combo, it's an 870 so it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. If you are gonna mount optics on it, get the cantilever scope mount barrel. Yes it costs more, but there is a little bit of play between the barrel and the receiver and a saddle scope mount is connected to the receiver so it will not be truly lined up with the barrel. I tried sighting in a saddle mount last year and after 50 rounds, I gave up on it. That was 50 rounds of sabot slugs, very expensive lesson learned. Just my 2 cents........

From what I understand, the 870 is one of the most durable, consistent, and yet affordable pumps on the market. However, I prefer the finish (both aesthetically and mechanically) of the 870 Wingmaster to the 870 Express. Either way, they are both fine guns.

Regarding the Red Dot, I would stay away from them unless you are willing to spend at least $200 to get a good one. I spoke with numerous gun techs regarding putting a Red Dot on a Win 1300 Black Shadow, and I got the same response - a slug will ruin a cheap Red Dot quickly.

Instead, get the cantilever barrel and buy a scope designed specifially for a slug gun. The big outdoors retailer in Rogers or Owatanna has a nice one (try the 2x7) and they have a lifetime replacement gaurantee on their Pine Ridge optics if anything ever happened to it!

I have the 870 Express Super Mag Combo and plan to use the rifled barrel for deer this season (unscoped).

I use the gun a lot for upland hunting and like it quite a bit. Someday I'm going to upgrade to a lighter grouse gun but I'm sure I'll keep the 870 around. Great gun for the money.

I don't think they sell an 870 combo that comes with a cantilever barrel (I could be wrong). This would be a nice option if it was out there.

If you decide to buy a cantilever barrel separately it will probably run an additional $250-$300.

I just got one this year. I am sighting it in this weekend. I just got the synthetic stock, 28" barrel and 3" chamber. The gun was only $250 from the big retail store in Rogers. I then ordered a Mossberg cantilever barrel for the 870 Express with a Bushnell scope already on it for $150.00 from the big store that starts with a "W". Although I do not really like that store, they were $20 less than anybody else and you do not have to pay shipping if you pick it up in the store. Whole combo with cantelever barrel, 28" barrel and scope, $400 ,not bad for a bird gun and deer gun.

Love the gun, have gotten several ducks this year. Now I have to see how it shoots slugs out of the other barrel, should be good though.

I was told the mossberg rifled barrel combo, was actually better for the 870, than the remington rifled barrel combo. I picked one up from "cheaper than dirt" on line for $166, and $14 shipping. Thought I got a steal until I read the post on here. I definitely like the rifled barrel on my 870, versus shooting smooth bore. Maybe it just allows me to be more confident, but I was sold enough to buy a 2nd one for my other 870.

I'm not real happy with my 870 for bird hunting. I seem to catch the butt, in my arm pit when I'm bringing it up. I might have to go with a shorter stock I guess. But then maybe I'm just a lousy hunter.... : ).

Here is a great tip for those red dot scopes, and I would also think it helps on a magnafied scope also.

If you can, after making the adjustments on the scope IMO it is a great idea to smack the butt of the gun on the ground to simulate a shot. It helps move and set the dot so a bunch of shots dont have to be taken. If this is done you can get away with just taking 1 shot groups and checking till the gun is zeroed in. Just be carefull to only load one shell at a time.

I think red dot scopes are great for slug guns. Trotting dear don't have a chance because it's very easy to follow them. If you jump a deer, you will be able to put that dot on him faster than any other site IMO. Oh, yeah and also I love shooting with both eyes open with a red dot. Oh I can't wait to start hammering down...

They certainly can break on you, my cheaper one is still holding up but the middle grade one that I purchased only lasted a few years.

I too have blasted ridiculous numbers of sabot rounds trying to sight in a red dot, and now since starting to give the gun a whallop in between rounds it has been a breeze.

I just went and zeroed my slug gun with a cheap red dot on it today. 3 shots touching, dead center at 50yds, ammo was 2 3/4" winchester partition gold shells.

What I am saying about whalloping the gun is this.

After you make any adjustments to the scope, smack the butt on the ground once or twice. Once the gun is sighted in than be carefull not to bump it too hard, no more banging the scope around is needed.

Yes, bassman. You said it correctly. But you dont have to do it in between every shot, just after making scope adjustments. People generally recomend taking 3-4 shot groups in between adjustments so the scope "seats" itself. If you use my method just be sure that you take perfect aim in your 1-2 shot groups until your gun is sighted in. Then go ahead and shoot until you are black and blue in the shoulder, than it's time for dear season.

With the hard recoil and cost of bullets this will dramatically reduce the time it will take to sight in your gun.

Hope this helps out, I know for a fact it has for me and every other person I have ever seen sight in a red dot.

Good luck

thanks, i did what you said and at 50 yards was hitting a 3 inch group after just 10 shots. thanks for the advice as the shoulder could have faired much worse if i would have had to shoot many more rounds! thanks again.

I just sighted mine in yesterday too at Monticello Sportsman's Club. Mine took 13 shots of Winchester Supremes. I ended up about the same as yours with my Mossberg barrel on the 870. It is hard to take too many shots sighting in, because everytime you pull the trigger you think $2.50 gone.