• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Running gas lines for Heater and Gas light in Fish House

Trytti

Question

My buddy and I are in the process of running the gas lines for our Fish house. Just looking for any tips or ideas since we are both pretty much novices. The heater is a 10,000 BTU heater by Reddy Heat and the lights are Humprey gas lights. We are going to go with 3/8"OD copper tubing. We will have to "T" it a couple times I am guessing for the heater and then to run it to the 2 gas lights. Any suggestions? The house frame is made of 2" steel tubing so curious if we should just drill holes through the tubing so it is set behind the paneling or should we just run the tubing on the outside of the paneling we are putting in?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Myself, I would run the tubing on the outside of the house. No insult intended, but if you are a novice as you say, over time it may leak.

Let it leak outside the house and not inside it. Plus, if there is a problem you will be able to get to it without ripping apart the interior walls.

Just another thought for you to toss around.

Just like electrical, you never want connections inside of a wall where they are inaccessible. Another option would be to tee off the regulator and run a separate line for the furnace and one for the lights, then use 1 tee that would be accessible at the light itself that goes to the other light. That way you'll have no hidden connections and you can service them easily if need be.

We've made a few fishhouses and have always used rubber gas line with brass jags to screw into tee's and elbows, and like said above, have all connections on the outside. Your house moves and flexes a lot when going across the ice. Copper does not flex enough. Also, you need to flair each joint with copper lines. This can be tough for a novice.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Lots of things I hadn't considered. One thing I didn't mention is it is a wheel house so I will be traveling quite a bit with it (hopefully). Not to sound completely clueless (which is pretty much the case) Does that make any difference with running the lines on the outside of the shack? I don't know that I have seen any with them ran outside, but then again I never really paid attention.

Thanks!