• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arial Maps

GFNER

I like to use google earth. Works very well. In order to print just the area you want, I use this free software called screenhunter 5.o. You can take a picture of exactly what you want and print that out.

Hope that helps. Best thing is, everything is free.

Besides Google Earth, does anyone know of more recent, up-to-date photos vs. those taken a few years ago? I know the DNR has aerial photos of select areas, but Google Earth and Terra Server are more complete.

Any recent, within a year/six-months aerial image sites?

I've found Microsoft Virtual Earth is more detailed than Google. Near urban areas you can click on "birds eye" view and it's got amazing detail. I can see the pair of shoes sitting out on the neighbors entrance with it.

Microsoft Virtual Earth "birds eye" have the best resolution. They are called pictometry photos, and are the latest craze right now.

There are also new air photos for most of MN that were flown just this summer by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency. The resolution isn't as good as the Virtual Earth photos, but they are the most up-to-date.

For the non-techie just wanting to view them over the Web (recommended), check this free program out. Turn on the "Statewide Air Photos 2008" in the lower right. Here's the link: North Star Mapper

If you are a GIS person and have ARcGIS 9.3 (software), here's the link for the data: 2008 FSA photos - MN

Good post. Hard to beat a nice aerial photo of your hunting property. Years back I blew one up into poster size but it's pretty much worthless now as the property has been select clear-cut. Need something recent so I can get an updated one.