Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GFNER

Arial Maps

13 posts in this topic

Looking for a good source of map of my hunting area in SE MN. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I like to use google earth. Works very well. In order to print just the area you want, I use this free software called screenhunter 5.o. You can take a picture of exactly what you want and print that out.

Hope that helps. Best thing is, everything is free.

Besides Google Earth, does anyone know of more recent, up-to-date photos vs. those taken a few years ago? I know the DNR has aerial photos of select areas, but Google Earth and Terra Server are more complete.

Any recent, within a year/six-months aerial image sites?

I use weather.com and go to radar and click on satellite and zoom in, that works pretty good. I don't know how recent they are.

Gamer thanks I gotta try screenhunter I tried to print off GE and just got random pics!

Biff??? I just tried weather .com cant zoom in? is there anything else,Account? signup?

Click on The upper left part of the radar on the satelite and then you should be able to zoom in no account or anything

for the best maps with good zoom ability's try Microsoft virtual earth it has both road and satellite photos.I think it is better then google earth

Google Web Soil Survey and do some searching there. There mapping features are very good.

I've found Microsoft Virtual Earth is more detailed than Google. Near urban areas you can click on "birds eye" view and it's got amazing detail. I can see the pair of shoes sitting out on the neighbors entrance with it.

Microsoft Virtual Earth "birds eye" have the best resolution. They are called pictometry photos, and are the latest craze right now.

There are also new air photos for most of MN that were flown just this summer by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency. The resolution isn't as good as the Virtual Earth photos, but they are the most up-to-date.

For the non-techie just wanting to view them over the Web (recommended), check this free program out. Turn on the "Statewide Air Photos 2008" in the lower right. Here's the link: North Star Mapper

If you are a GIS person and have ARcGIS 9.3 (software), here's the link for the data: 2008 FSA photos - MN

Thank you sohaaad, I have been looking for some updated aerial photos for a while now.

Good post. Hard to beat a nice aerial photo of your hunting property. Years back I blew one up into poster size but it's pretty much worthless now as the property has been select clear-cut. Need something recent so I can get an updated one.