• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to make a crappie landing net

hydro

Well it’s been a few days and I have 4 coats of varnish on the net frame. Now it’s time to lace the net into the frame. I used a fine cord like what you fine on a mini-blind to do this. It fits through the holes in the hoop and will snug up nicely. To get the cord through the holes, I used a wire loop to pull the tag end through.

Net17a.jpg

An inner cord is used to keep the net on the inside of the frame, and the net is laced in place.

Net16a.jpg

Once the net is securely laced to the frame, it can be checked for depth.

Net18a.jpg

You can see that this net is plenty deep, much more so than I want it to be. The purpose of this net is primarily to flip crappies into the boat and the extra depth just gets in the way. To fix this I gauged the depth that I wanted and carefully cut just under the row of knots to shorten the net.

Net19a.jpg

To re-close the net I used a metal snap ring from a key chain. It’s easy to string onto the net loops and adds a little weight to help keep the net bagged down when in use.

Net20a.jpg

Once the net is closed it is done! Here is my daughter in her crappie landing stance.

Net21a.jpg

That looks great hydro. The best part of woodworking is the results custom to your needs. If you get it right, that is. I don't suppose you have a shot of your shop, for further inspiration. I am setting up one in my little basement and everything is on wheels. Dust is problem though.

FishinJohn,

The shop that I have nowdays isn't much to look at. I have half of my pole barn (27 X 30) insulated and set up for multi-use projects. I do work on older cars (see the '71 Duster on the rotissiere in the clamp picture) and most of my machines are on wheels so that I can store them when not in use. If you have a shop in the basement, a good dust collector is the best investment you can make, and will keep things much cleaner. If you want to learn more about woodworking do a search on the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild. They have monthly meetings in the twin cities area and are a great group to get to know. They have all skill levels from just interested to amazingly talented.

Very informative post. I did pretty much the process as you did to make my net. Except I didn't get a whole lot of time to make it, and I used lesser quality wood. Not as quality of piece as yours turned out to be, but here are a couple pictures of the net that I threw together.

2.jpg

1.jpg