• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9 day season and public land????

I hunt mostly wma,s and I am alittle nervous about this season, seeing that it is 9 days long, is there going to be tons of people out on that first day and people running all over the place??? I just dont want to sit and have people running by me all day long, Im limited to public land. is anybody else worried about having this problem, Im almost thinking about not going just so I dont get frustrated, frown

Its always been a 9 day season in zone 2 and a 16 day season in zone 1.

Its always crazy on the opener. I would say that 90% of the hunters who will hunt, are out on opener. I've always hunted public land, but it seems that most people have their spots pretty well laid out.

If you are new to the land you plan to hunt, get there early and be ready to walk in at least an hour before sunrise. Bring a flashlight to let other hunters know where you are if they start getting close to you on their way in.

It is public and no one "owns" a spot. Its also not worth fighting over, so I would leave if someone confronted me. Its happened. Feel free to call the cops because its hunter harassment, especially if someone makes threats.

Make sure to have a back up spot, wear as much orange as you can afford, be on alert, because moving hunters move deer for you.

icecold,

I hunt around Henderson and I think it could be a little more crazy this year than in past years.

I'm fortunate to have some of my own land to hunt on but I know there are hunting parties that used to hunt the "second" season and now don't have a place to hunt with the seasons are setup now in the old zone 4.

Give it a shot and see how it goes. If the public land is overcrowded maybe you'll have to look to the big forests up North. Just a suggestion.

I hunt the same area as you, and i think it will be crazy this year! I have heard of a few more people talk about getting a license this year because of the extended season, and all of them hunt public land around here. Unfortunatly, public is my only option.

Dustin