• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Preparing hides

I am just looking for tips on preparing my hides, and other skinning, prep and storing tips for hides. I am sure there are others out there who could learn a few things on this as well. The more the detail the better. Thanks!

If you are looking for specifics on fur handling for sale, the very best publication to get your hands on is the North American Fur Auction 2004 Anniversary Issue, Special edition II, Pelt Handling.

Unfortunately, for someone just starting out it is difficult to acquire. They will only sell these issues to active shppers with NAFA accounts. If you know someone who ships possibly you could ask them to order one for you.

As far a basic tips, start out simple. Learn and practice the basic skinning technique for each species and simply freeze the pelt for later sale to a local buyer. If you are unsure and have no one to show you, I suggest multiple trips to the local buyer with a few hides at a time. If you are doing something wrong he will surely point it out so you can correct yourself on the next one. This certainly beats the disappointment of skinning your whole seasons catch incorrectly only to find out later.

I know how to skin them, its what to do after to prepare for sale. I have always just skinned them rolled them, bagged and threw in the freezer. I just thought I could take it to the next step, and make a few extra bucks off of the hides. Thanks for the info on the book, I will look into finding one.