• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ending it yourself?

MNpurple

A buddy of mine has a 12 year old Golden. The time has come that this old, faithfull fella be put down as he just doesn't have a quality life anymore. For as long as we've been friends this poor dog has really feared the vet, gets shakey and slides across the floor when he goes there for anything.

Needless to say, he doesnt want his dog's last memory of life and him to be shaking in a vets office. He'd much rather end it himself on a piece of property where he and the dog spent some quality time. Besides a gun, is there any injection, food, whatever that he could have access to where he could do it himself, on his terms, AND quickly without suffering?

Thanks for any tips, I feel bad for him.

I have absolutely no idea, but I understand the situation completely as I had to go through this experience a few weeks ago and I don't wish it on anyone.

I would think a phone call or visit to the vet would answer your friends questions. I don't know if a vet can actually give out the medication required, but asking the vet the question is probably the best route.

Good luck to him.

Hey MN Purple, absolutely a vet will make a house call for this purpose. I believe it is the most humane thing to do when the time is right in the right setting. A vet will give your buddy the peace of mind that the job is done right with no suffering. There are several good vets around the New Ulm area or the Nicollet vet office I believe offers this service. Tell your buddy to hang in there- tuff part of life.

I also give a vote for calling the vet to come to the house, or wherever he want's it to happen. If his regular vet won't do it, a couple calls will turn up a vet that will happily do it. Your buddy doesn't want his last memory of his best friend any other way than the vet doing it. I wouldn't be able to put any dog down myself. The memories that linger would haunt me. My GSP was killed on the road this spring. It tears me apart to see that spot every day, and remember picking up his broken and battered body off of the road, and putting him into my truck, and I imagine that putting your dog down yourself would be equal to that.

It a hard decision. I know people that have use a pistol to end it. I couldnt do that myself. My last dog had to be put down at the vets, it was terribly hard thing to do, but it couldnt walk any more. I still think about it. The dog seemed to understand, it licked my hand before it died.

This is a very common request of pet owners. Call your vet and find out if they are comfortable doing it. You may need to call around be sure that someone will do it.

I know a buddy who had it done at the farm on the tailgate of the truck. I'm choked up thinking of the scene, but for everyone involved it was far better than in a sterile 10x10 room.

I always thought that when the time came, I could do it myself with a rifle, but I've heard of too many stories where the shot is not perfect and the dog didn't die immediately. Now I know I'd never risk that. A house call is a fantastic idea.

I had had to do it to one good GSP (My 1st and a good dog.) when I came home from a trip and she had had to contained because she had lost all controlof her bowels. My vet, a personal friend, had offered to bring a needle over but it was 11:00PM on a Sunday night. Doc's comment; "You've done it to some bad dogs, now you've done it to a good dog." My 1st Pointer we took to a local vet and it was terrible on us. We took her home a buried her out back in an old hunting coat of mine. That was the last time I've done it that way. Since then I try to have the dogs on point on training birds and send them to the happy hunting ground. Very hard on me, much easier on my old friend.

These stories are all sad and depressing! I hate hearing about bird dogs going down!

Our story isn't peaches and sunshine either, but we had a springer that finally had to be put down. He was the dog I grew up with, great hunter, better friend. He was getting old, couldn't see very well anymore, and he had a stroke one day. Was tipsy, running into walls, etc. It was really hard seeing him that way, and my dad took him out to the spot where we hunted grouse and woodcock, carried him to one of our favorite spots, and ended it. My dad says the image still pops in his head from time to time...

I had a setter that went out just like that..Don't mention it too often because people tend to think that I'm cruel and heartless...but for me that was the right thing to do...not for everyone though...Now every fall we can visit her on our way through the woods to take a few grouse. That's where she belongs...what ever you decide should be the right choice for you and them. Good luck uplander

Every dog I ever took to the vet's for my friends to be euthanized or ones I did myself,,, whether they were my own or belonged to others will always haunt me when I think about those times,,, but sometimes one must grit their teeth and get the job done for the dignity of a true and loyal friend that served you well .

It is sad but dead is dead as the vet once told me and a bullet is faster than most things . Sometimes it's best to have a friend take them to the vet's or do the other I mentioned .

My last great lab was buried in a casket I made before hand and has some decoys and a shotgun with her for the trip .

TD

I always felt that I owed it to the dog to do it myself. I'll take them for a early morning walk, come home to a hamburger, egg breakfast and use a pistol on them after they fall asleep in the sun as you pet them. Its all albout their last memory. I bury them in the jacket

I wore as they they came up.

Oh you will tealitup if the time comes and no vet around .Watching an animal suffer and crying out in pain will give you the strength to do what's right . It is tough though yet I feel no regret in bringing the suffering to an end .

TD

Teal: Hate to say it... but the dog would never be able to correlate you pointing a gun at her with her life ending... that would take the power of 'reasoning' which a dog does not possess.

I would if and all possible prefer to end it myself if I could. I don't know if I could do the bullet thing unless I had too... not for the dog's sake, but my own. It's the bloody head deal that'd be hard to shake from my memory.

I asked the vet if he cold do me a favor and set me up with a dose of euthanasia solution to put my dog down in SoDak when I go back in Dec. He didn't say no, but he wouldn't say yes. After talking to him about it in detail, I decided it was not the proper choice... sounded romantic, a quick hunt down a 1/4 mile shelter belt, put her down and bury her with my jacket at the end of the tree line... It's a favorite spot of her's and I and I would be there every fall to say hello and goodbye... just logistically and logically it's not the right thing. I'm going the put her down and cremate her route and I'll choose a nice spot for her remains. He has a nice seperate room to do this in if the weather is not nice. Big oriental rug, couch, nice wall hangings... not perfect, but much better than a stainless steel table.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do. It's a tough decision, but one we except the day we bring them home as pups.

Good Luck!

Ken

we used to have a brittany spaniel that was the same age as i and when we were 14 we had to put her down gpa or dad didnt want to do it and there was no way in heck i was i had known that dog since i could ever remember my uncle had to come over to do and said he will never do it again for anyone!! call the vet and have em give them that shot of whatev it is to put it asleep

I put my first hunting dog down myself (Indy). He was a great dog that gave me all he had and was kind, gentle soul. I thought it was my responsibality, because he was my dog. I wish I had never done it. There isn't a day that goes by that I dont regret it. Losing a dog is tough... Anyway my vet will meet me wherever next time, and I think most would. There is no easy to way to decide when a dog dies.

Joe

Had to put down my GSP several years ago,called the vet and told him what we needed to do. We went over to the office and the vet brought the medicine to the truck. He put my buddy to sleep in the back seat of the pickup where he loved to ride. The hardest part for me has always been digging the hole afterward, but once its done you know you did the right thing and your hunting partener is somewhere else helping loved ones enjoy the eternal hunting grounds in the sky..

Tracey

I only had 1 dog put to sleep by a Vet. He gasped and fought it to much for me to think it was a nice way to go; except the Vet Tech was one of the better looking gals I ever seen and she held him still from behind between her well endowed chest. So i don't think the old fellow held to much of a grudge. The biggest ? is were to bury them, Gene Hill (I think it was him) wrote a nice piece about buring a dog. When i go I hope it is the field or in a well endowed chest. Here is to the dogs that make us talk like this... good thing they don't live for 50 years or it would so darn much harder to see them go.

Hunt the he11 out of them, slip them a cheese burger now and then and never get so busy you can't sit down and scratch a belly.

I got this a while back. I thought it was pretty cool.

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

~Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.

Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters.

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!